Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 SOHC Valve Cover Gasket RnR

2001 Forester 96k miles. I have noticed the oily spark plug boots for last 2 years or so. No driveability probs yet, but I decided to replace the driver side valve cover gasket, spark plug pips, and bolt washers/seals anyway. I used OEM, I think it was under $30 for the set for one side.

** Best to do the valve cover gasket and sparkplug tube seals (pips) when car is due for an oil change, so that dust and dirt that gets in there when you remove valve cover will quickly be flushed out when you change oil. Only a small bit of oil will leak out when the VC is removed.

** Best to let the windshield fluid reservoir run almost dry (.25 full or less), since you need to remove it to get the valve cover out.

1. Spray engine degreaser and scrub with toothbrush, wipe with rag, blast with compressed air all around VC to clean out any dirt that might fall into the engine while the cover is off.

2. Remove windshield fluid reservoir (10mm socket) and unclip green and white pump wire connectors. Wiggle off fluid hoses.

3. Remove battery (if doing drivers side) (10mm combo wrench--Negative terminal first) in order to increase access to the valve cover.

4. Wiggle off plug wires. Do not remove spark plugs. Stuff rag bits into spark plug tubes to prevent dirt from falling in.

5. Unclip and wiggle off breather hose from VC. Stuff in a bit of rag to prevent dirt entry.

6. Remove bolts (different lengths, so NOTE locations) (5x 10mm socket and box wrench. Ratcheting wrench would be ideal here) and valve cover. I was able to leave the oil filler neck attached and used it as a handle to help pull out the VC. Cover valve area with clean rag to prevent dirt from blowing in there. Clean gasket contact surfaces of cover and engine. NOTE orientation of old gasket for proper insertion of new gasket into slotted perimeter of VC. Use small flat screwdriver to pry old bolt washers off of VC.

7. Put new gasket into cover, then put cover onto engine. Star pattern the bolts to 4 ft lbs…less than spark plug torque. You will feel them resist when they snug up. DO NOT overtighten them. They can strip out fairly easily. Just aim for snug, not tight.