Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 outback w/ no ash tray

OK, I have never had a car before that didn't come stock with an ash tray. I do NOT smoke, but I've always used the ash trays in cars for a change holder! If I find an ash tray in a junk yard from a same age outback/legacy, will it be a drop-in fit? I don't want to use the little cubby in front of the arm rest for change, too hard to sort through it to get the quarters out, hehe.

Yes the 95-99 should work. But look at the ashtray "tracks" first.

I've sold quite a few of them and had a lady here saturday that needed the "tracks" in addition to the ashtray. That's why the ashtray was missing.

I don't have any ''tracks'' in my spot where the ash tray should be - just a smooth cubby. And the ''lighter'' spot says not to use a lighter in it, LOL. not that I would though, LOL

You need to bring a 90 degree bent phillips screwdriver to get the two screws that go up vertically into the mouth of the pocket. Get the bracket that goes with the ashtray and unplug the wiring that goes to the light on top of the ashtray. Most likely there is a corresponding connector on your harness for it to plug into.

You need to bring a 90 degree bent phillips screwdriver to get the two screws that go up vertically into the mouth of the pocket. Get the bracket that goes with the ashtray and unplug the wiring that goes to the light on top of the ashtray. Most likely there is a corresponding connector on your harness for it to plug into.

Thanks! I'll check it out sometime this week.....

• 2 weeks later...

well, I went to the local pull-a-part and they had a legacy with the same color interior and a never-used ash tray in it! I was able to get the tray and the sliders for $1.50 plus tax (plus the $1 for the 'entry fee'). So, a grand total of $2.63 :grin: Anybody want the little pocket cubby that came out of that spot? It's dark gray :)

well, I went to the local pull-a-part and they had a legacy with the same color interior and a never-used ash tray in it! I was able to get the tray and the sliders for $1.50 plus tax (plus the $1 for the 'entry fee'). So, a grand total of $2.63 :grin: Anybody want the little pocket cubby that came out of that spot? It's dark gray :)

i'll take it. how does it bolt in?

how much?

pm sent.

john

Edited by johnceggleston

i'll take it. how does it bolt in?

how much?

pm sent.

john

It just snaps into place, no bolts or screws. If you have an ash tray right now, then you would need to take out the 'sliders' for the ash tray (will need a angled phillips screw driver for two short screws in front/top, and a long phillips screwdriver for a screw all the way in the back/middle)