Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some questions about my 76 wagon

Is there front seal on the 4wd transmission still available? It looks like it is leaking pretty good. Also, did work on the rear hatch on it today. Pulled out the rear window to do the first stage of rust repair. Now what do you guys recomend to use as a rust killer/inhibitor to stop the rust? I got the original window gasket out too without tearing it. Is it possible to reuse it? I highly doubt it can be but what else can I use. Doesn't a VW of some kind fit? Looks like I will have to use a little bondo to finish up after the rust repair too. first time for me on that one. Hope it turns out ok. Thanks,

Richard

If the front seal is not available, a local bearing/industrial supply should be able to match something up. On the rust repair, best thing to do is get rid of it completely by grinding/sanding if possible. At the very least, get as much as possible and get a good rust inhibitor product from a professional autobody supply and follow the directions. I myself use a variety of sandblasters (depending on the area) to blast out the rust then use either a self etching primer or, prefferably, an epoxy primer. If you managed to pull the gasket out without damage, I'd say chances are good you can reuse it. I have never tried it, but I hear giving the rubber a good slathering of baby oil over a week or so will soften the rubber up a bit. If you are worried about leaks after re-install, you could always run a thin bead of silicone adhesive in the channel before you put it back in. I do this even with new rubber as extra insurance. As for the bodywork, if the dent is minor, you would be better off using a product that has a general name of "icing". It is basically a thinned out filler that I find easier to work with on small imperfections. If you do need to use a filler, also check a professional autobody supply as the "Bondo" sold in most parts stores is not good at all and much more difficult to work with (and tend to shrink bad over time- not good!). Be sure to have some sort of primer under the filler.

Mark

That looks pretty well pitted. I would suggest replacing the metal if you plan on a long lasting repair. If that is not in the cards, be sure to use a good rust neutralizer on the bare metal, followed by an epoxy primer. I would try and weld the holes shut, but that would probably create more work due to the hole getting larger because of the thin metal around it. Try a reinforced filler in those areas like metal to metal for your best shot at a long lasting repair without metal replacement.

Mark

I want this car to last and this is really the only real bad spot on the car. I highly doubt I can find another hatch door for this. I know what welding car sheet meteal is like... It sucks! Very difficult to weld. I am thinking about taking it to a friend who's dad is a professional body man and does custom work. He has his own shop and I am confident in his work. It is either that or another hatch door.

What datsunrides said. If you just leave the repair at that with some primer and paint it will rust again. The only true way to get rid of rust when its pitted like that is to cut it out and weld in new metal. Otherwise your just prolonging it for a year or two and then u got rust again.

Edited by hatchsub

hello subieguy-hey i just happen to be doing the same rust repair on my 78 wagon hatch. i popped the glass out last week, and this week im goin to try sand blasting followed by an application of "rust mort". this is what was recommended to me by my auto body teacher at school, but yeah i too may hav to do the cut,weld stuff which i seriously dont want to deal with. that 79 wagon if its the one im thinking of had a very good hatch but i dont know if its the same on a 76. if you track it down and its not the same please let me know. if its the 79 dl im thinking it is, i almost bought that but really could not take on another project and it was a project-tranny,smog,body work etc. but it definatley had some good bits and pieces. if you track the car down again please let me know. thanks!

Yup,dats da one. dont pay too much-the car has some real problems- but it did have a running ea71 last i saw it! some other goodies too. dont know what your plan would be with it. if you part it (that rust is pretty bad) id like to buy some things. I dig the 76-great project and good find!!!

• 4 weeks later...

well, we cant get em all rich, tis a bummer though. hows the 76 coming along? id very much like to see that thing. hey give those people your phone number at least because it may not be a ranch car for long. apparently the transmission was not long for this world. they may want to part with it sooner than later. hey you got any extra rims? the early white spoke jackmans by any chance? ill cross your palm with some scratch as they say.

The woman that owns the wagon is one of my sons teachers. So I still have contact with it. Right now I am working on getting a 78 Brat. Seems like I always have something cooking with finding these old Subies. I have 10 Jackman wheels. All in need of tires and paint. I might be persuaded to part with 4 of them for the right price. Number is 286-8422.

Richard

well, we cant get em all rich, tis a bummer though. hows the 76 coming along? id very much like to see that thing. hey give those people your phone number at least because it may not be a ranch car for long. apparently the transmission was not long for this world. they may want to part with it sooner than later. hey you got any extra rims? the early white spoke jackmans by any chance? ill cross your palm with some scratch as they say.

• 3 weeks later...