Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone replaced a Baja Fuel Filter?

I've thought about replacing mine ('05), but I just don't feel like dropping the fuel tank unless I get some overt problem I can trace to the fuel filter or pump. One thing I read once made it almost seem like dropping the tank wasn't necessary. That one thing made it seem like you could get to it under the rear seat cushion with the tank in place. I haven't looked to see about that.

If you end up doing it, let us know how it goes?

Yikes, if you have to drop the fuel tank, let a shop do it!

However, doing the fuel filter that's located in the engine compartment is more than do-able by the home mechanic.

However, fuel going into the filter is under pressure and you need to eliminate that pressure. I use a long nosed vise-grip with rubber hose around both noses to squeeze the incoming fuel line to minimize spillage without damaging the fuel line.

After that, prying off the lines from the old filter can be a PITA. I haven't found a solution to making that easier and would be open to suggestions there. I just did my Impreza and am holding off on doing the Forester until I have a better solution to prying off the lines to the old filter.

Yikes, if you have to drop the fuel tank, let a shop do it!

However, doing the fuel filter that's located in the engine compartment is more than do-able by the home mechanic.

However, fuel going into the filter is under pressure and you need to eliminate that pressure. I use a long nosed vise-grip with rubber hose around both noses to squeeze the incoming fuel line to minimize spillage without damaging the fuel line.

After that, prying off the lines from the old filter can be a PITA. I haven't found a solution to making that easier and would be open to suggestions there. I just did my Impreza and am holding off on doing the Forester until I have a better solution to prying off the lines to the old filter.

prying off the lines are very simple and easy....get a rag and a pair of wire or side cutters...then put the rag over the filter to absorb the "slightly"pressurized fuel while you are cutting each of the metal pipes as close to the filter as possible...now you have two disconnected hoses with metal pipes in them...use regular pliers and some twisting to remove the pipes and your done...before installing the new filter I put ever so thin a coating of diaelectric grease on the pipes before inserting them into the rubber hoses..makes removal easier next time