Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unfortunately par for the course with disc brakes. The only thing that has helped for me is to always buy the top of the line brake pads, never a mid-or-low grade. They usually have better vibration isolation (AKA squeak control) backer pads, and have higher quality materials used in their construction to help stop squeaks. They can be aftermarket, but top of the line is important (I have had good luck with Napa's premier line). Afterall, what is more important for a car-being able to move forward, or STOP. Never skimp on brakes. One other thing that can sometimes help is a spray on brake stop squeak (you put it on the back of the pads) but I have had varying luck with it.

The other thing that can help is getting the rotors turned or replaced. The polished surface your old pads left will take longer to break the new pads in. The rough surface of new or turned pads is there for a reason. As soon as the rotors get polished and smooth, the brakes can start to squeak.

Truth be told, if they are working fine, I would just live with the squeak until you need new pads, then replace them with good ones.

I have found when I have mine turned they will warp much more easy because they are thinner.

However mine are on a right hand drive postal Subaru and they get much hotter then most other cars.

I dont think hitting with sand paper will take the squeak out most likey they are warpped and will need turning are replacing.

Which side is squeaking? you might try changing sides with the rotors and if the squeak moves then it could still be rotor.

I bought some new ones from Auto Zone once and one was warpped right out of the box.

The suggestion about new pads make by second post might also solve your problem, which pads did you use?

I have found the Wagner Thermo quite pads to work well.

The other thing that can help is getting the rotors turned or replaced. The polished surface your old pads left will take longer to break the new pads in. The rough surface of new or turned pads is there for a reason. As soon as the rotors get polished and smooth, the brakes can start to squeak.

I've never heard of this before, I wonder if this is my problem as well.

I have found when I have mine turned they will warp much more easy because they are thinner.

think i could just take a few thou' of each side in a lathe....

would that be enough to rough them up....?

or just hit them with some rough emery cloth?

I can't imagine taking say 5 thou off each side would be a problem as long as you indicated during setup and used a cutter with a decent radius on it so you didn't get record grooves.

Or maybe just some stoning?

Regarding the emery cloth - it might help for a very temporary fix (couple hundred miles). If your rotors are near new, you can turn them and take a couple thousands out and it might help, but eventually the rotors will be smooth again, and the squeaking will likely return. When the rotors get polished smooth, the pads are also polished smooth, and that is what will invite the dreaded brake squeaking.

You never addressed the quality of the brake pads you installed. If they are low grade, that is likely the problem right there. -Cheap pads generally squeak.