Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'88 GL10 Wagon

Had this vehicle for awhile now, just getting around to work on it, make it my winter beater. Had fun dragging it around from the rear of garage to the front so I could start wrenching on it. Both front wheels were locked up from the rust on the rotors/brake pads. Made steering it "fun". They've broke loose now.

It's FWD with Auto right now, but I have a FWD 5-speed here to go in it, maybe now, maybe later. Just wanting to get it running for now, figure out all the issues, go from there.

Wagon used to belong to OHNoah, aka CIS_Subaru, and is the one he did the VW CIS conversion on. Noah kept all of that stuff, I got just the body, no engine either.

I'm in the midst of dropping a carbed EA-82 engine in, with the SPFI stuff installed. Hoping I can figure everything out and get it running that way. If not, I'll just swap the manifold out and put my Weber on it for now.

Been digging thru old threads for needed info, found some stuff I needed, still looking for other info. Did find a link to download the Service Manuals for it, so that should help emensly.

Biggest issue I have right now is bracketry for the Power Steering. Seems I don't have all the parts here. I have the pump bracket still on the pump, but I seem to be missing other brackets to mount it to the engine. Also the correct A/C bracketry is MIA. Have round compressor, but square compressor bracket. Not going to work that way..

I dropped the engine in lastnight, it's bolted to the trans. But, it seems something is amiss here as the motor mount studs are sitting behind the slots in the x-member by about 1/2 an inch. I'll be checking that issue out when I get back out there this AM.

One question for now. Is there a difference in sending units between Digi-dash and Analog dash? Ifso, I need to swap oil and temp stuff out.

Really could use some good clear pics of how everything is hooked-up on the engine. Things like PVC hoses, vac lines and what nots. This is the 1st EA-82 SPFI vehicle I've ever worked on, so I'm a bit confused on things. Meh,,, make that lost.... Underhood sticker is un-readable...

Haven't looked at those manuals I downloaded yet, so maybe the info I need is in there.

Another day of wrenching has ended. Figured out alot of it, just by looking things over, and over, and over.........

Seems I did have all the right stuff here to mount the PS pump, A/C compressor and what-nots. Just needed to get stuff found and do some trial-errror fitting of things. Plus at first, I was wanting to use the wrong bosses on the engine to mount the PS pump bracket. D'OH!!!!

Got the motor mount studs thru the X-member by using a prybar. Dropped right in like it supposed to. Not sure what was keeping it from doing that before.

It's real close to attempt starting.

Need to fix the Y-pipe, (cracked), and get it under there, along with figuring out how/what needs to be done to hook it to the rest of the exhaust piping, (looks like some pipe is missing just eye-balling it).

Still need to run all of the PCV hoses on it. Really don't think I have any of the right ones here, so it'll be a custom job at best.

Install the disty cap and run the plug wires.

Find a correct length accelerator cable for it, as this one is "way to short".

Get new drive belts for Alt, PS pump, water pump, A/C.

Dropped a battery in it just to check some of the electricals out, but it needs charging some. Did manage to cycle the fuel pump a few times, and I need to hot-wire it to get that nasty old gas out of the tank. Gauge reads 3/4 tank, but a I have the front of the car 3 foot in the air, so it's probally less. But boy, does it smell bad, so it's way old. I was letting it run into a small gas can while doing this.

So,,, tomorrow, it may run again. Here's hoping for that. :drunk:

Not much done yesterday.

Had lots of errands to run yesterday, so the Wagon didn't get much time spent on it.

Spent time digging around for PCV hoses just to see what all I have here. Not enough to do the job by the looks of it.

Really could use a good pic of just how the PCV lines are run. The diagrams shown in the Manuals aren't real clear. I need real-world pics of that stuff.

Vacation time is over and it's back to work this morning. Going to take longer to get it going now with only a few hours a night to work on it.

Send me your email addy and i will get you some top of engine pics off of my 92 loyale. The pcv system is the same. If you need any hoses or connectors, i probably have them in my storage shed.

As to your sensor question. The gl10 has an idiot light for the oil and not a pressure guage, so you may have to change out the sending unit on the oil pump. If the one you have is a small unit then you have the right one. The one for a pressure guage is large and on the front of the oil pump angled down. it is about the size of a walnut. The idiot light sender is about the size of a dum dum lolly pop. All of the other sensors should match up just fine.

Mike

mdjd1@gmail.com

If you have trouble with that y-pipe I have a like-new one here. It's missing the heat shield for the cat (it was on my loyale to keep the cv boot from cooking), but other than that it's in perfect shape. If you need it we can work something out.

I also have the service manuals for the Loyale, won't help for the digi-dash, but the alot of the motor stuff will be the same if you need additional info (wiring, etc).

Edited by dhise

If you have trouble with that y-pipe I have a like-new one here. It's missing the heat shield for the cat (it was on my loyale to keep the cv boot from cooking), but other than that it's in perfect shape. If you need it we can work something out.

I'll keep that in mind. Haven't attempted anything with the one I have yet, so don't know if I can repair it or not. Hoping I can though...

I found a link to download the Service Manuals to this here laptop. So I'm good there. Thanks for the offer though.

Send me your email addy and i will get you some top of engine pics off of my 92 loyale. The pcv system is the same. If you need any hoses or connectors, i probably have them in my storage shed.

Mike

mdjd1@gmail.com

Email addy link isn't working. Email gets bounced back as 'undeliverable".

Sent you a PM with my email addy in it.

Not much of anything done lately, No Time.....

Fired it up yesterday. Whole lot of cough, gag, choke, spit, sputter, at first. But she runs......... On the way old gas even. Really bad nasty smell from the exhaust.

Still need to do work on it, Y-pipe install, swap radiator(leaks), accelator cable, correct oil pressure switch, proper accessory drive belts, few interior repairs.

Christopher helped me out some by swapping out the headlights, broken tailight. Checked power window operation, auto seatbelt operation and what nots.

• 3 months later...

Nothing like taking ones time in doing stuff. :rolleyes:

Just haven't had much time to spend wrenching on this, but I've been plugging away at it. Only have about 4 hours a weekend to wrench on it.

To date,

repaired the Y-pipe and installed it.

got the exhaust all hooked up.

swapped the radiator out.

installed another throttle cable.

replaced defective DS outside mirror. (no move)

fixed the PS front turnsignal. (rusty socket)

swapped in another heater blower motor. (froze up)

installed new battery. Left old one hooked up and it got drained down enough to freeze.

Dumped some gas into the tank and fired it up this last Sunday.

IT LIVES!! IT MOVES!!!

Christopher enjoyed running it up and down the driveway. Just wanted to get the rust cleaned off of the brake parts so it will roll easier. It's been sitting here for 5 years now.

Still need to,

replace all the wiper blades.

give it a bath. It be nasty dirty.... :eek:

find some good tires for it.

get tags and insurance on it. (tomorrow)

figure out why the gas gauge is stuck at 3/4 tank.

check the wiring on the PS headlight. It's dim, way dim. Bad ground is my guess.

Down the road items to fix,

rear DS door doesn't open, period.

swap DS front fender out, smashed in at headlight.

replace heater speed resistor pack, only have 2nd and high.

swap in a CD player and new speakers. Got that stuff here....

Was really wanting to have this on the road last Fall, but it didn't happen. Oh well..

Giving it to Christopher so he will have is own car. He's been running the wheels off of his Mom's HHR. Time for him to have his own set of wheels.

Well, as of today, it's officially on the road.

Got it insured and a 30 day tag on it for now. But young one is happy he has his own car now.

Found that the PS headlight was just a bad bulb. It worked, was just dim. Swapped in another bulb and it be fine.

Had issue with wipers not working. Tore into it looking for an electrical issue. Turns out it was just the linkages all stiff from sitting around.

I can relate to that problem.

Rear wiper don't work, period. Thinking it's bad motor, as I have juice at the plug for it.

Christopher decided he didn't like the bent front DS fender. So,,, he swapped one on that I had here. Not the best of shape, but it ain't bent.

Noticed the last few times we started it, it wanted to chug. It's not wanting to startup real easy either. So,, I pulled the plugs to have a look. #1 was fouled. Also, wire end was still on plug when I pulled the boot.

AHA! quick fix. NOT!

Fresh plugs, new wire, and it still chugs. So I need to look into other causes. But, T-belts are good and in proper time. Correct orintation of wires on the cap. Timing is spot on according to my light.

New to SPFI stuff, so I gotta dig around for the info. Engine ran just fine as far as I can remember when pulled it out of the '82 BRAT some 6 years ago. Yes, it's an EA-82 engine, swapped into the BRAT before I bought it. Now it's in this '88 Wagon with SPFI, engine was carbed before.

Got about 8 gallons of fresh gas in the tank, along with a bottle of SeaFoam. So,,, maybe over the next few days of him driving it it'll straighten up.

We shall see....

Oh!! Did get some nice used tires for the front. Will do the rears next payday.

Edited by TomRhere

tom, the oil sender will be the smaller style for the dummy lite. sorry i do not have one, but i do have other spfi sensors if you need them.

i also have a y pipe from an 89 gl with o2 sensor

i also have a complete dash and engine harness for 87 gl 10, digi gauge.

if you are selling this car, i have a buyer for you. if you decide to sell it, let me kow your price

i will be out in the area come march, i'll bring out the parts if you dont find them elsewhere

as far as the chug, you didn't leave the green connectors plugged in, did you?

No, I didn't leave the Green ones connected.

I need to get a few things from the local parts store, so I'll get the OPS then. May take you up on the Y-pipe, just in case this one doesn't last.

Really not sure on the chugging. It's a bit hard to start, and has a rough idle. Sortta like it's missing, but it's not. Accelerates down the road fairly decent, but no pick up when you give it more gas. Just slowly picks up speed, even if you floor the pedal.

I do feel distinct pulses from the tailpipe, so I don't think any of the exhaust system is plugged. I could be wrong on that though.

Still need to swap in a new fuel filter. And I'm wanting to clean the MAF, air valve, and other things under the hood. All parts on the ignition side of it are new, except the disty and coil.

Still have a lot of tinkering to do on it. But Christopher is happy that he can drive it.

you may have to replace the engine temp sensor, the 2 wire sensr with the green plug on the thermostat housing. try unplugging it and see if the car runs any different. A new one will cost you 80-90 bucks at napa, but it will be an original FUJI part.

hopefully someone has one in their pocket laying around. i do not have them anymore. they would be pocket items at the junkyard, if there were subarus in the junkyard out your way

Thanks Miles,,,,, I'll check that sensor out.

Any idea if one off one of these ER-27 engines would be the same?

Things are a bit of a mess outside around here, so I won't get out there tonight, maybe tomorrow after work.

Engine doesn't really act like it's running rich though. No raw gas smell from the tailpipe, no Blackish smoke either. But the chugging does make one think of that. Also reminds me of a bad set of points in the older pre-electronic ignition cars.

Really need to spend more time on diagnosing it, instead of trying to get everything else working on it. But it does go down the road, and Son is gratefull for that part.

Just don't have alot of wrenching time during the week. I'm gone 13+ hours during the day doing the job thing. Working 10 hour days with a 45 minute oneway commute, (on a good day). Talk of us going to 12 hours in a few days. Just got home about 30-40 minutes ago and ate supper. Now,, I want to relax a bit, take a shower.

Had to open my mouth about going to 12 hours. :mad: Did a few 12+ days this past week, so no wrenching done during the week.

Yesterday, get home from work, do my "normal" weekend errands, and decide to head out to work on the Wagon. While I'm getting ready, Son informs me the battery is dead in it. HUH??

Then he takes off in the HHR, with the key for the Wagon. D'OH!!

Anyways, I re-checked T-belt timing, re-checked disty timing (static). Both spot on... Swapped new fuel filter in. Checked the temp sensor connections mentioned by Fox, looks clean. Sensor could be bad though.

Checked accessory drive belts, they were somewhat loose, so I re-tensioned them. New belts do stretch a bit... Could be cause of low battery.

Forgot to bring home my DMM from work, so I can't check things out as far as ohms, voltages, what have you. Grrrrr....

Spent time digging around in the garage looking for items people are wanting for their XT's. Basically killing time until Son returns with key...

Did try jumping starter at the connections. Yep, battery is low, but not dead.

3 hours later, still no key and my feet are getting cold. I be done!!

I'll head back out later this AM and do some more investigating.

Was nice day out today, so lots got done. Not all good news though...

Seems the engine I put in last October or so, is junk...

Less than 50 PSI during compression test, warm engine, on cylinders #3 and #4. 110 PSI on both #1 and #2.

Didn't play around anymore on try to find out why. Started pulling engine, and it be on the garage floor.

Got the engine from the rusted out '86 BRAT ready to be pulled. It's going into the Wagon, period. May be SPFI, may be Webered.

It's the only other engine I have here available that I know runs. So...

Took Friday off, giving me a 3 day weekend to wrench on this here Wagon. Weather forecast sounded like it was a good weekend for wrenching outside. It has been so far!!!!

My Brother stopped by Friday morning and helped me manhandle the EA-81 engine out of the BRAT, then we started swapping stuff over.

Had to get out the angle grinder and do alot of clearancing in the bellhousing area to fit the EA-82 flex plate. Then I had to cut down the flywheel bolts, as I couldn't find any of proper size/length.

Set about getting the EA-82 disty and SPFI modded to fit the engine following GD's writeup on the EA-81 SPFI swap.

Worked on mounting and needed mods to mount the EA-81 alt bracket along with the EA-82 powersteering pump. Still need to work on just how I'm going to do the PS drive belt tensioner, but it's on the engine and very close to being done.

Saturday,

Spent time doing alot of fit-n-finish work on the disty, PS pump mounting. Then Christopher and I dropped the engine into the Wagon. Have most everything hooked back up.

Still need to; install the Y-pipe, fasten down motor mounts, mount the electric fan. Figure on the tensioner for the PS belt more.

It was approaching sunset and starting to cool off alot, and supper was ready, so we called it a day.

We'll be back out there this morning to finish it up.

My camera is being very finicky, not wanting to take pics, or not wanting to talk to any computer when it does take pics. So, no pics of things done yet. I'll try to get some of the finished install, but it may be a few days before that happens.

Sing it Willie!

On the road again!

Got things buttoned up and semi-properly rigged. Didn't have enough pieces/parts on hand to do a proper job on the PS tensioner, but it works...

Good ole Yankee errornerring right there!!!!

Get-R-Done!!!

Got some pics of finale assembly, will post them shortly.

But it runs and goes down the road hella better than other engine did. Son is "Happy".

Sing it Willie!

On the road again!

Got things buttoned up and semi-properly rigged. Didn't have enough pieces/parts on hand to do a proper job on the PS tensioner, but it works...

Good ole Yankee errornerring right there!!!!

Get-R-Done!!!

Got some pics of finale assembly, will post them shortly.

But it runs and goes down the road hella better than other engine did. Son is "Happy".

Yeap, its runnin good has a few querks but other than that I can get from point A to point B real easy like. Big plans on my part this summer finishing up the paint job on it would be nice...just need some spray paint and blue painters tape and that would be about it. :clap:

Considering I am new to the board, I will get a picture or two up of my wagon. :)