Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed the plug on the right side of the car, it is still showing a very low glow for the light, with the high beam no working at all. I have also check the ground, it seems to be ok. Does any one have a wiring diagram for the

2003 forester?

Thanks

Can you elaberate more on what this is, the switch ground system.

Here is the diagram for the 90-94 Legacy.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/Legacy_headlight_wiring_diag_(US).zip

A switched ground setup means that only one power source is fed to the common pin on the headlamp, and that two separate grounds are then fed back through the switch. I think you'll understand once you see the diagram.

I'm guessing a bad ground, indicative by just a glowing light. Check for broken or disconnected wires as well.

Perhaps if I explained the circuit path, it would help. Here's how the circuit works, and what happens if the right headlight fuse is out (or that side's relay doesn't complete the circuit):

As Josh said (and the diagram he linked to shows), power is fed to the common point between the low and high filaments on both the left and right sides. Each side gets power through a separate relay and fuse. The ground side of the low filament for left and right headlights are wired together, and the same is true for the high filament.

Imagine there's no power to the right common point, due to blown fuse, bad relay, etc. When low beams are selected, the ''free'' end of the low filaments are grounded, and the left headlight is lit. However, the current can also take a path through the left high filament, then back through the right high (since they're connected), and finally through the right low to ground. There's less of a voltage drop across high filaments (due to less resistance than lows), and the right low beam will glow dimly. If the high beams are selected, a similar current path is taken through the left low filament, right low, and then the right high. Because there are now two low and one high filament in series, the voltage drop is even greater than before, and the right side will barely light, if at all.

That's why I suggested in post #7 that main box fuse #9 (the right headlight fuse) and its relay be checked. Obviously, if the fuse blew, the reason should be investigated (if it wasn't just due to a filament having bridged). It's also possible, although less likely, for there to be a wire break between #9 and the right headlight common point.

Finally, they are both working..... I did have to replace the fuse(#9), but it was still dim, i changed the relay, no help, come to find out the bulb itself had a short in it, where i would work on the other side fine, until you shook it lightly and it would dim again, i put a new bulb in it and it works great, thanks to all who helped.

A lamp filament coming loose and bridging/shorting isn't uncommon. The fuse blowing under that condition is expected. The dim lighting on the side with the blown fuse is a consequence of how Subaru designed the headlight circuit.

The moral of the story is always check fuses first -- and if blown on a lighting circuit, suspect the lamp itself before doing more extensive work. :)