Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help!

::just bought a new subaru, only 2mths old. the paint on the hood, roof and trunk is beginning to bubble, dealer say's sap! we do not cover that because you did not get the enviromental spray! for 600.00 did anyone get this spray, was it offered to you? i don't know what to do!

Dealer is giving you a load of crap. No car finish should be doing something like what you describe..especially a new car. They just dont want to deal with it. Is it sap? What does it really look like? Bubbles? Are we talking very small bubbles? And where are they? All over? If its only in one or two isolated places i have a theory as to what it is. Solvent pop happens when chemicals in the paint from down below come to the surface over the course of a few months. I do not believe it happens with factory baked on finishes. If its only in a few places and you bought it new then it might have been damaged before delivery or during delivery to the dealership. The dealership fixed it and rushed it a bit. It can be fixed if its not too bad (wet sand and a buff) but that all depends on how deep the bubble goes.

If that sounds like what it is i would go back to them and tell them to fix it and stand your ground. If they tell you no, tell them you will get the opinion of an independent body shop and then talk to a lawyer about your options cause that isnt right in any way, shape or form. Whether or not you really will is not really the issue. Chances are the threat of it might change their mind pretty quick.

Edited by hatchsub

Hi This is Jerry, if you bought your car new then it has a warrenty and that covers paint. If your dealer dosen't want to cover it then tell them you will contact the BBB and file a report against them, that will change there mind. The car is under warrenty, i work at a dealer ship. Thanks Jerry

::just bought a new subaru, only 2mths old. the paint on the hood, roof and trunk is beginning to bubble, dealer say's sap! we do not cover that because you did not get the enviromental spray! for 600.00 did anyone get this spray, was it offered to you? i don't know what to do!
Environmental spray is BS. What happened to your car is that it was scraped on the carrier and then repainted and not a good job at that.

Firstly, go back to the dealership and get his opinion in writing so you have paperwork to back up your claim.

Next, check with a quality body shop and get their opinion; also in writing if they can do it.

Go back to the dealership and see if they will correct it. Again, get it in writing.

Options: Certainly report to the BBB.

Write to Subaru of America and tell them how you've been treated and you would like to have the issue resolved to your satisfaction; suggest remidies: new car, repair at a quality body shop, etc.

If all else fails, small claims court is an option. A lawyer won't do you much good since it's not worth his while.

Good luck and keep us informed.

I agree with what edrach said. Document everything:

1) Keep a log of what you were told, when and by whom. And include the "environmental spray" BS.

2) Get everything you can (like estimates) in writing.

3) Take pictures of the damage, including some good clear closeups.

4) Keep your cool with the dealership, but be firm.

Good luck.