Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 weird issues

ok.. 88 xt6 5 speed

symptoms are..

When cold: intermittent power loss for short periods of time, usually fine after you give it full throttle.

When warm: constant power loss till 5k rpm unless at full throttle, if you hold the gas half way or so, it sounds like its just blowing flames out the muffler, and looses speed..

if you unplug the mass airflow sensor it will run better, but cant reach any higher then 3500 rpm... adjusting the TPS doesn't change anything at all really, unplugging it makes it impossible to rev the car up at all. the person i got it from was following me and said that glowing pieces of metal were coming out the exhaust.

check engine light doesn't come on during this, unless the MAF is unplugged.

i have a couple ideas what it may be, but ill stay quiet to hear what you guys think:grin:

glowing pieces of metal were coming out the exhaust.
that makes it all worth it at least, doesn't it?

sounds like the converter might be clogged.

or it could just be too much fuel burning in the exhaust. in which case the fuel pressure regulator could be shot?

how about generic tune up stuff - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, timing belt?

well, i got a little desperate and bypassed the CTS by hooking up an old volume nob.. just twisted it till it smoothed itself out.. so for now its drivable-ish, it still misses a little bit, but im one step closer....

now i need to get those other tires on..