Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mystery Pushbutton Switch

I have a 86 GL-10 SW 4x4 and have a mystery switch I can't identify. Its not in the owners manual or Hayes, chiltons manual either. Its a orange faced pushbutton switch located on the lower left hand side of the dash, kinda hidden by the steering wheel. The graphic on it looks like maybe a foglight symbol , ~D, (three wavy lines). Anyone know what it controls? It appears not to do anything when engaged.

Pushed it with low headlights on, :banana: the switch lights up! I might just move this to the front burner. I can't find where foglights would of even been mounted, anyone have any details on foglights for 86 GL-10 SW, ie connector locations, mounting location. A photo of some mounted would be great. Last question, assuming everythings there but the foglights themselves, is there a relay already in the circuit and is it a single wire only to each foglight (ok double question)?

Edited by quartus

I had the same set up. The foglights were mounted on the underside of the bumper until they were smashed off. My relay is mounted on the front side of the drivers' side strut mount beside the coolant reservoir.

The relay circuit draws from the parking lights (corner lights on my car) and are powered directly from the battery through an in-line fuse. There is a single wire to the lights which is spliced at the bumper. I upgraded the relay so that each light has it's own power.

Yeah I found some holes on the underside of the bumper where it looks like the floods were attached. I'll try to find some low profile ones to mount. I found the power to them also. Thanks for your help.

All would be perfect except for that deer that caught a ride on my GL-10's bumper and dented it in pretty bad.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104029