Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater problem

Thanks for information on heater problem. I was able to clear a blockage in the heater core. Still no heat to speak of and the temperature gauge acts strange. Before clearing the blockage, the gauge would rise from cold to operating temperature. Now it rises almost to red and then drops back to operating temperature. Did I do something wrong? Did the blockage just move somewhere else? How can I fix it? Thanks.

you probably have air in the system.

to burp the air, jack up the front of the car, or park it so the nose of the car is higher than the butt. Turn heater selection to hottest, with heater set to on.

add coolant to the radiator, and squeeze your radiator hoses to allow air to come out. Drive car to operating temp, let cool, top off the antifreeze, again with heater selected to hottest and the nose higher than the butt.

might need to repeat the run for a short while , cool off, top off, cycle

bheinen is correct , you probably havnt gotten the system purged of air yet .

One thing though you said .... it still doesnt throw out the heat like it should . Maybe you only got the core partially unblocked and its hard to get the airlock out of it . Try bleeding it out again like his instructions with heat control full hot .... you might have to run some chemical cleaner through it again . That rusty crap is hard to get out sometimes .

Does Subaru use a heater water shut off valve ? vacuum or cable . Not sure on that . That could also be plugged or bad too . Something you might check into .

Bob