Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2004 Outback with 225/60/R16 tires. I am looking at set of rims and tires for sale that are 205/70/R15. According to an online tire size calculator ( http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) the tire size is identical. I am wondering if a 15 rim would fit on a 2004 Outback that normally has 16s. I'm waiting on confirmation but I think that offset may be the same on both rims.

Assistance ASAP would be greatly appreciated as these rims/tires appear to be a great deal and I don't want to miss out.

Sean

Welcome to the board.

You can use the search function on here to find out all kinds of information on a variety of topics. There is also a similar "relative" search at the bottom of the posts.

I do not believe a 15" will fit on the 2004. Not enough clearance around he brake calipers. Also you would need to find out what the offset is on the wheels since that has a factor on where the tire sits in relation to the hubs and wheel well.

Others here on the board might confirm this for you.

If this is a private sale is there any chance you could test fit the a wheel on the front of your car?

Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, I used to frequent this forum quite a bit several years ago (when I still had my 93 Loyale) but couldn't find my username/password so I had to start all over again - hence no previous posts :)

I was wondering about the 15's fitting over the brakes and such - unless someone can confirm I may just drop by the guy's house and do a test!!

Here's the page I'm using to help determine offsets and so on. I know it's often not safe to assume things on the WWW are accurate but this site looks pretty good.

Cheers,

Sean

If the wheels are Subaru OEM, they should be 55mm offset and that shouldn't be an issue. Often the offset dimensions are stamped or cast into the wheel. If they are aftermarket wheels, there's a good chance they will be 38mm offset which shouldn't be used.

If the offset is fine, only mounting the wheel on the front will tell you whether it will clear the brake calipers.

The rims came off a 2000 Forester. According to the website (that I failed to provide the link to above - http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html) the 2004 Outback and the 2000 Forester both have 48mm offsets. They are both 6.5 as well.

I did a quick check in some online parts catalgues and it appears that the 2004 Outack has a 11.6" front disc while the 2000 Forester has a 10.9".

Guess I'll have to do an on-car test!!