Ultimate Subaru Message Board

78 BRAT w/blown HG: EJ swap into or rebuild the EA71.

s'ko

So I might have found a candidate to replace my 1982 BRAT.

There is a 78 on CL with a blown headgasket. The engine is out and on an engine stand. The heads were removed and there is some damage to the cylinder sleeves at the mating surface.

Two options regarding this vehicle….

Crabman was some engine bits for the EA71 that we could combine with the EA71 from the 78 and piece together a working motor.

The other option is to take the EJ from my deceased BRAT and put it in. I read Zefy’s post about his EJ 1st gen swap and I see that he has to notch the frame rails in the front if you don’t lift it.

Ohh. Last bit of info. I need to get this thing up and running as soon as possible b/c I will need to use it to do some light moving to the new house I am about to get so whatever I do, it will have to happen in one weekend.

Thoughts…..comments?

BW

If it has to be done ASAP, the easiest way is just make a running motor out of the EA71 the car has. To do an EJ swap, you would need to also swap in a later 4 or 5-speed trans, because the 78's had the top-mount starter.

You can always upgrade later, but I say just fix the current motor to get started.

-Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, I know this is a few years after the original post, but I have the same problem with my EA71. It is burned on the driver's side between the cylinders. Is there a fix for that? I assumed the block was toast, but some of the discussion in this forum makes me wonder if there's hope. Any suggestions?