Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Struts as a Lift

andrewmiller

I have a 97 impreza sport. Not the outback sport.....

I threw some tires on there that are a bit too big for my wheel well. I need to do a quick small lift, i heard if i take struts from an outback that would work. Now would i have to replace all struts and what year and style of outback struts would i need. or is there an easier way to lift it?

Thanks Guys

AIM-frozenaquawater

1997-2002 chassis model is SF

might have been sold in 1997 but forester first year was '98.

anyways, 98-01 stuff should be the same. OB stuff might be a better choice (not quite as high as FOZ)

you will need to keep your rear tophats.

What size tires do you have-are you sure a lift will clear up the rub on turning?

might have been sold in 1997 but forester first year was '98.

anyways, 98-01 stuff should be the same. OB stuff might be a better choice (not quite as high as FOZ)

you will need to keep your rear tophats.

What size tires do you have-are you sure a lift will clear up the rub on turning?

it only rubs when i go over a bump or somthing... nto when im turning

Outback or forester struts will work, you probably want outback ones though because the spring seat is situated differently allowing more space for wheel/tire. Reuse the original springs and tophats, cut the bracket where the brake line goes through, bend it so you can release the hose, do the same thing to the new struts and bend the bracket back flat so that the clip holds the line in. Saves braking all the brake lines and bleeding the brakes and all the nightmares that go with disturbing old rusty brake fittings.

Pick up the bracket that the rear trailing arm attaches to the body with from a forester or outback. If you don't, the wheel will move forward in the wheelwell when you lift it. The forester or outback ones move the attachment point for the trailing arm down so that the wheel stays centered. That's the bracket right under the rear doors.

Hello, i have a same year impreza, however mine is just a regular ol impreza L. If i am reading this right, all i have to do to add a bit of hieght and more importantly in my case ground clearance is replace my struts with outback or forester struts. some insight would be awesome.

no hijack intended

That's correct. Struts AND the rear trailing arm mount bracket off of a 97-99 outback. Gets at least 2" of suspension lift out of an impreza.

Here's a thread on the brackets with pictures: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86178

Reuse the tophats and springs. I have had one 94 legacy that the strut wouldn't tighten down on the rear tophats, it turned out the shank of the strut that goes through the tophat was a bit longer than the origonal legacy one. I made a washer that fit inside the bore of the tophat and over the shank of the strut and it tightened it up. Just something to keep an eye out for. They were monroe struts, I've never run across that with kyb's or stock struts.

Edited by WoodsWagon