Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I picked up a 97 OBW a few months ago. It is starting itself. It only does it when I am away from home. I am thinking this vehicle has remote start installed on it and frequencies from other people's keyless fobs are starting the car.

The car has the factory box in it. The one that is zip tied and shoved underneath the driver's side. I'm assuming remote start was setup on this car.

I found a site that has the wiring information (or at least the wire colors). If I wanted to disconnect the remote start which one would I disconnect.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1983.html

any help is appreciated. Thanks

That guide you linked to shows where to tap in to install an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start. There's no saying how your PARTICULAR system is installed. The wire colors listed are the colors of the wires in the factory wiring harness, which will probably _not_ be the same as the colors of the wiring harness which comes with the remote start box.

If you can get a brand and model # off the box, you may be able to google to find a wiring diagram for the box. It's either that or physically trace the wires back to the ignition switch harness and disconnect the starter and ignition wires going to the box. If the box has a starter kill function as part of the alarm, you may have to splice a cut in the factory "start" line back together to get the car to start on the key.

yes I found the add on remote start. it was made by crimestopper. I disconnected the box and the fuses from it.

I also took out the subaru keyless entry thing. i couldn't ever get the keyless entry to work. Its a subaru p/n H7110AS011. anyone know if disconnecting the keyless entry unit will cause any problems when I disconnect the battery i.e. alarm issues where the car won't start.

with the items disconnected everything (car starts, doors unlock/lock) still seems to be working right.

thanks for the help!!!! :grin:.

I also took out the subaru keyless entry thing. i couldn't ever get the keyless entry to work. Its a subaru p/n H7110AS011.
crap i forgot about that, i've heard folks mention before that something wouldn't work with it removed (like one of the door locks i think), but it might depend how it was installed/removed...like if a wire was just tapped or actually cut.

not sure about the alarm.

where was the remote starter installed? did it look difficult, maybe i'll buy it from you so mine will randomly start?:lol:

i saw your call last night but i was about to head to sleep. i'm at my parents if you have their number.

crap i forgot about that, i've heard folks mention before that something wouldn't work with it removed (like one of the door locks i think), but it might depend how it was installed/removed...like if a wire was just tapped or actually cut.

Gary,

You are right about that. Our '98 OBW had the "dealer installed" subaru branded keyless entry. It went kaput, and in the process of removing it I found that one wire looped through it. (They cut the harness to install the wire.) I also can't remember the wire was for the driver's door lock actuator, or if it disabled the internal lock/unlock switches... but it was pretty straightforward to splice the factory harness back together- it was a single cut wire...just match the colors.

I installed an aftermarket keyless entry system for about $50...works great and is about 1/4 the size of that ginormous '98 vintage dealer installed piece which really inhibited fusebox access.