Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burning oil - smoking exhaust

'84 GL Wagon EA81

So, I decided to replace the muffler with an aftermarket freeflow muffler. But, it took me about a month, and during that time I drove it with no muffler. That is when it started to use lots of oil, quart every 100-200 miles. Got the new muffler put on and it smokes and the exhaust tip is all black and sooty. I am wondering where the oil is leaking from. I have looked underneath while changing the oil and have seen nothing obvious. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by mcdanielsamuel

Are you sure your estimates are accurate? That is alot of oil to run through. Your saying the smoke is coming out of the tail pipe (burning in the engine), right? Or are you saying its smoking under the car/burning off the exhaust itself? What color is this smoke if its coming from the tail pipe?

If the engine is "using" the oil then you have some serious internal issues, or a PCV malfunction. If it is leaking it it should be pretty easy to spot. There should be puddles under the car. You might need to check it while its running. Have some one man the controls: rev it a little while you look under the car. Pay attention to the flywheel area and the oil pump.

-Sam

The oil leaking is near the rear, I believe. It does not leak when it's not running. The exhaust smoke color is unknown color (color blind); I'll try to figure that out. The car has lost compression, accelerates very slowly. I think it is in the piston rings and possibly the seals. I have put a heavier weight of oil in it, and it has used less oil.

The numbers from the original post is correct. I was traveling on the highway at 75 mph. It was sucking oil through because of no back pressure and probably the continuous high pressure exterted on 25 year old seals and rings.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Sam