Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATF Leak -- is it special tubing?

I have a 98 legacy obw. It has a ATF leak coming from the lower hose where it connects to the radiator. Is this special tubing or can I just go to the local parts shop (NAPA or Advance or O'Reilly) and pick something up that will work?

EDIT: It's hose #20 in this diagram

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_45/cooling_system/engine_cooling/illustration_2/

Edited by gl2tosl2

I have a 98 legacy obw. It has a ATF leak coming from the lower hose where it connects to the radiator. Is this special tubing or can I just go to the local parts shop (NAPA or Advance or O'Reilly) and pick something up that will work?

Oil resistant hose is what you need. Tell them what you are using it for, and they should sell you the right stuff. It will be marked/stamped for use with oil right on the hose. You'll have to know the size you need is all.

Edited by valvestem

Oil resistant hose is what you need. Tell them what you are using it for, and they should sell you the right stuff. It will be marked/stamped for use with oil right on the hose. You'll have to know the size you need is all.

Sweet. Thanks. Upon close inspection there's small cracks in the end of the upper hose so I'm going to do that one and replace the clamps at the same time.

i would go ahead and replace both hoses and sets of clamps while you're at it. hard to imagine one being that bad and the other being pristine.

they are REALLY annoying to install, the hose is super freaking tight to get on. expand the ends really good with whatever suitable tools you have and grease it to help it slip on. the limited access really hoses you here.

i would go ahead and replace both hoses and sets of clamps while you're at it. hard to imagine one being that bad and the other being pristine.

they are REALLY annoying to install, the hose is super freaking tight to get on. expand the ends really good with whatever suitable tools you have and grease it to help it slip on. the limited access really hoses you here.

Yeah, both hoses and clamps is my intention.

I don't have any hose end expansion tools, but what I usually do with rubber parts that are a tight fit is a little bit of lube and a heat gun to warm the rubber up and make it a little more malleable.

The lower end of the lower tube is the only one I can't get to from the top of the car. Is it tucked inside of the frame rail or something? It was 5F when I was looking at this and I didn't feel like crawling under to take a look.

no, they are all accessible with various amounts of hand jamming and tight spots. no special places or tricks to it, just get what you can.

oh - i use needle nose pliers - insert them into the hose an "open" the pliers as hard as i can, rotate inside the hose then do it again. this stretches them.

heat - excellent idea, like that.