Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HI ALL!

I pulled the trigger on a 2010 2.5i (thanks for those who helped me decide in another thread).

Anywho, I took my alpine headunit and sirius tuner out of my pathfinder and Crutchfield tells me there is no mount for the 2010 Outback (yet). So I'm open to suggestions - other than having Subaru install the built in for $550.

Do you have a portable unit?? I use Sirius in my 08.. but I run it through the aux port in the center console and have my antenna stratigically placed in the back..cord hidden. To me it isnt worth the extra to have the factory installed.. I thought about it when I bought mine.

I have multiple cars ..each set up with sat radio..but I dont want to pay extra subscriptions ..thats why I have the portable unit.. I even have my 83 GL-10 coupe set up..LOL

I am in the same boat with a new Legacy. I had the Sirius module put in my Impreza a few years ago and the module went brain dead after about 18 months. The orginal install was $550 and installed parts are only covered for 1 year. All the dealer did was shrug their shoulders and passed it on to Sirius to warranty. Sirius only offered me a portable tuner.

So I think I have learned a lesson. Only have sat if it comes with the car. That way it is covered under the standard 3 year warranty. Otherwise a portable tuner that plugs into the Aux will do.

Building a dash kit is not difficult. A little ABS and some super glue and you're in business.

Otherwise, you'll need to get one of the portable units and use your AUX port. You could use the built in FM modulator and the optional FM Direct adapter, but since you have the AUX port you should use that. You'll get better performance that way.

someone on a sirius board found me the kit

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=8101

but I gotta admit I'm a little nervous cracking open the dash on my brand new car - has anyone opened up a 2010 and have helpful tips?

ie: on my husband's 04. I opened it up and put in the fm direct connect. I NEVER would have seen the upside down hidden screws in the ash tray except that I had the crutchfield instructions and they point them out.

• 2 weeks later...

well thanks to everyone - and Subaru for making it MUCH easier to get into the dash (than earlier models) I present my finished project:

IMG_5163.jpg

Now, I lost my steering wheel controls - which I expected. Any thoughts on getting them back? If I have to redo the wiring harness I may scream. LOL but I'd do it :)

Pac Audio makes an interface for your steering wheel controls. It is the SWI-JACK. It takes a little mucking about to program it, but it works pretty well. PLugs right into the back of your Alpine and voila. Off you go.

I just came across that - $86? YIKES.

I'll suffer without it LOL

The steering wheel interface adapters are SO worth it! Once you get used to using those buttons on the wheel you just can't go back to reaching for the volume knob on the dash.

How do these work - are they for the entire radio set up - CD, radio, sirius?

I'm wondering if I can buy a controller equipped steering wheel and interface it with my stereo.

The SWI-Jack is useful for most Alpine, Kenwood and (some) JVC stereos. There are other models in PAC Audio's line for other applications. It will continue to control all of the functions that the steering wheel controls are designed for. Generally, that means Volume Up/Down, Channel Up/Down, Track Seek, etc. The down side is that the interface is usually a bit slower than the factory system. Some applications are worse than others.

They are generally only available for popular head units. You can get some that are direct link and some others that use a transmitter similar to the remote for the head unit. The direct link ones are the way to go if the head unit you have is compatible.

If you just want steering wheel controls some companies make little remote that fit on the wheel and work fairly well. Similar to this: http://www.rainbowappliance.com/CDSR100.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=673&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=43445352313030 Just find one that will work for the head unit you want to buy.

Much cheaper than buying a wheel with controls and an interface to connect it to the head unit. Also a ton easier. The buttons in the wheel probably won't work unless you swap the clock spring with it. Then you have to figure out wiring... :confused:

How do these work - are they for the entire radio set up - CD, radio, sirius?

I'm wondering if I can buy a controller equipped steering wheel and interface it with my stereo.

The instructions are on Pac's website. And Scooby is right. Looks like programming is.......well.... a PITA!

I think I would have bought the factory Sirius kit and sold the aftermarket headunit. Then just put the sirius kit in yourself. Keeps the steering controls, keeps it factory and keeps it under warranty. The Headunit should bring some decent money too.

I think I would have bought the factory Sirius kit and sold the aftermarket headunit. Then just put the sirius kit in yourself. Keeps the steering controls, keeps it factory and keeps it under warranty. The Headunit should bring some decent money too.

$389 for the factory kit.....vs $35 for mounting kit and wiring harness.....

I don't think a 2 year old alpine head unit I bought for $200 would bring in much now.