Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building exhaust for spfi ea82

Hi, I am looking to build an entirely new exhaust system for my 88 dl. It has a spfi ea82.

Is a Y pipe into a single pipe my best option?

Also, what is a good size for the pipes to be? I read that stock is 1.75''. Should my two pipes before the Y be saller than the one after it?

My main concerns are improving mileage and keeping cost below about $150.

Are glasspacks worth the noise tradeoff? (I don't mind a little rumble but would like to be able to hear myself think)

I found a new Walker muffler on Amazon for $23 that says it's for a turbo and was wondering if something like this or maybe one or two glasspacks would be better.

Any info and tips would be much appreciated, thanks.

IMHO i would let the stock y-pipe be, as well as the cat, that will keep youre much needed back-pressure. From the cat just straight pipe it with 2.25'' all the way to the back (unless you got to worry about yuppie emissions BS) That would minimize cost and would give youre ea82 a nice purr and growl. This is the setup I run, Cost me under $75, and you can "hear yourself think" inside the cab=P

also, these cars sound good with cheap ricer pipes, the natural pulse caused by the split banks break up the ricey sound and you get a nice deep toned rumble. My TOPSPEED PRO1 $50 can sounds freakin sweet. stay away from "turbo" mufflers. that tends to just be a restriction, thus eliminating most gains you get. Get a straight through glasspak or can.

well i dont have a cat and have a glass pack. sounds frickn sweet but it does get loud. so if you do use a glass pack put it closer to to your engine if you can. im not sure but i think this helps muffle it down a lil bit. less pipe to reverberate b4 the "muffling" device haha. thats just an assumption though.