Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuilt Hitachi has flat spot.

Guys,

My 1986 dr 5spd wagon has a rebuilt engine and rebuilt hitachi. It sat for six years imediatly after the rebuild. I bought it, got it running easy and this is the only real mechanical problem. It starts and runs fine. Step on the gas a little and response is ok. Push a little more and there is a little stumble and flat spot. Push it further and the vacume secondaries seem to kick in well and your off the the races. My crap haynes manual dosnt really show anything. Can I adjust this out of the carb. Not much money for a weber now.

Thanks

Mike

Guys,

My 1986 dr 5spd wagon has a rebuilt engine and rebuilt hitachi. It sat for six years imediatly after the rebuild. I bought it, got it running easy and this is the only real mechanical problem. It starts and runs fine. Step on the gas a little and response is ok. Push a little more and there is a little stumble and flat spot. Push it further and the vacume secondaries seem to kick in well and your off the the races. My crap haynes manual dosnt really show anything. Can I adjust this out of the carb. Not much money for a weber now.

Thanks

Mike

replace all the hard and crusty rubber vac lines, that ussually helps alot.

Some of them have tiny pellets with resrictor holes in them. take off hoses one by one. Cut up the old hose and look inside for those pellets, and place them into the new hose. if not you will have WAAAY too much vacuum in some places.

i am having a similar issue with my 86 3-door. my condition is worse as it acts like it is running out of fuel and i have to advance the disty to start.

i replaced the pump, filter, and top half gasket, leaned outthe carb what i could.

we need to find a good schematic of vacuum, wiring, and the circuits in the carb, i guess

good luck! i'll be following your progress

i am having a similar issue with my 86 3-door. my condition is worse as it acts like it is running out of fuel and i have to advance the disty to start.

i replaced the pump, filter, and top half gasket, leaned outthe carb what i could.

we need to find a good schematic of vacuum, wiring, and the circuits in the carb, i guess

good luck! i'll be following your progress

86CarbedVacuumDiagrahm.jpg

Can I adjust this out of the carb.
Some ancient history here, but it applies to Subaru also. I had a rally prepped Datsun 510 back in Wilmington, DE with the original Hatachi carb. I stopped in at the local dealer (who also owned a raceshop and had a race prepped 510--this was in 1980 or so) and checked if the parts guy had a rebuild kit for the Hitachi carb. The parts guy looked around to make sure no one else was in earshot and suggested I get a weber. When I thought to buy a new Hitachi, he looked me in the eye and said again, "get a weber; the Hitachi comes new with the flat spot built in."

So save your pennies and get a weber.

• 2 weeks later...
replace all the hard and crusty rubber vac lines, that ussually helps alot.

Some of them have tiny pellets with resrictor holes in them. take off hoses one by one. Cut up the old hose and look inside for those pellets, and place them into the new hose. if not you will have WAAAY too much vacuum in some places.

Now that the mouse nest is history Im going after the carb. It looks like the guy who did the rebuild put new vac. lines in. GLoyale, do you happen to have an idea which hoses had pellets? Im going to spend some time with the manual and see if I cant get it adjusted tomorrow.

Thanks

Mike

If it sat for six years, you may get rexults from cleaning out that carb. Try seafoam or other strong cleaner in the gas. Also, while the egine is idling, put your hand over the carb intake to choke it, but pull off before the engine stalls. Sometimes that will pull the crap out of the jets, yes it works sometimes. Or just take the thing off and clean it correctly...

...do you happen to have an idea which hoses had pellets?

The only place I have pellets on my car is in the vac lines that go to the choke pull-off dashpot(s). However, I work on ea81s and I have removed all the emmissions apparati since they were not working anyway. If there were pellets in the emissions vac lines, I have forgotten by now. There may be pellets in different places in the ea81s and ea82s, but check the ones for your choke pull-off and it will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Ferox,

Lets hear some more on removing the vac hoses. Do you have the Hitachi carb? Got pics of the new set up? What do I need to plug/ adjust on the carb? Any info here would be great. I have an E81 brat that runs like crap, Seems to rich but not sure. Any help would be appreci8ated.

Thanks,

D

When I replaced all the vacuum lines on my Brat recently, (craptachi, feedback) I cut them all open, and I only ran into one hose with a pellet, it shows you on the vacuum diagram under the hood which one has the pellet. I believe they have to be pointed the correct way also, so make sure you do that.

The EA82 may vary though I doubt it, I had one with a feedback carb, but never got into replacing vacuum lines because the carb itself was shot, however it should be the same concept.

HTH.... if I'm right anyhow :lol:

I did a little cleaning today and added a can of sea foam to the tank. That made an improvement. The flat spot is probably half as bad:banana:. One thing I notice now is that the car runs poorly when i start it until the check engine light comes on. Then it runs like a champ.:lol: Sans the aforementioned flat spot. The light usually comes on after 60 seconds or so. The code is for the pulse thing. From what I read it has to do with the computer getting a signal saying the engine is running. Dont know if Im going to wory about it right now though.

Thanks guys

Mike