Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale wagon 4WD 5 Speed

N8NQU

do you have the green test connectors hooked up? they are required for proper timing checks...

Not sure where they are on the 92 Loyale - on the 89 GL they were just behind the drivers side strut tower - but from what i understand later models had them under the dash?

I am trying to check the timing and And I can't get my timing light to work on 1 cylinder??????but it does work on 2 cylinder.Any ideas???

Thanks Bill N8NQU

Bad cap and rotor, or bad plug wire or plug.

If the light will flash on all the other wires, those are the only options

#1 is passenger side front,Is what I am trying to get my timing gun to work.1-3-2-4.Merry X-Mas.Bill

just to be sure - what are you calling #1 cyl??

#1 is passenger side front - not drivers side front as many mistakenly think

the only other thing i can think of would be completely mis-timed - but if it was that far out of whack it wouldnt run... :confused:

Compression and therefore firing voltage is too low on #1 to trigger your light.

Try a wide plug gap on #1 or loosen the wire on the spark plug until there is a small gap.This will increase voltage enough to fire the light.I`ve had the same problem.

I will try that,Thanks Bill

Compression and therefore firing voltage is too low on #1 to trigger your light.

Try a wide plug gap on #1 or loosen the wire on the spark plug until there is a small gap.This will increase voltage enough to fire the light.I`ve had the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I got the problem fixed,It turn out to be the new Cap that I got from Advance Auto.It was not machined right.I am glad it's fixed,I'll be having fun in the snow now.Thanks to all that took the time to follow this thread.Bill:banana: