Ultimate Subaru Message Board

discovery during oil check...coolant?

today while checking the oil level {which by the way, leaks from an array of places..but thats a story for a different day} So I lifted off the oil cap and underneath on the inside of the cap was a mayo like substance..not allot but noticeable. I checked the oil level, it was half way between full and low. I topped it off. The coolant overflow res was a little low also, again not very low but noticable. { I keep a close eye on my cars being an auto tech by trade} I don't suppose this is normal. The intake gaskets are leaking a trickle of coolant. Is it safe to say that the intake gasket and the emulsification on the oil filler cap is related?

Edited by Loyale93v

UPDATE: I cleaned off the oil filler cap and let the car idle for 30 min or so and checked it again. There is beads of moisture on the inside of the cap. ( I bet it is coolant burning off) how bad is it doctor? i dont know but I have had a set of intake manifold gaskets in the drawer for a few months now...maybe it is time to R & R ! anyone...?

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

It's condensation, very common in cold weather. If you had coolant in the oil it would look like pancake batter (trust me :-\ ) change the PCV valve.

Also, pull off your PCV line and valve then, take some stiff wire and make sure that the fitting going into the intake and the rubber line is clear. The PCV port and line tend to get blocked by carbon, this causes crank case pressure to build up. This could be the source of your oil leaks.