Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why does my Outback with manual transmission have nuetral switch?

So long story short I swapped a manual transmission into my 1997 OBW, from a 96 OBW, and I get a code for the nuetral switch. Now, I cannot figure out as to why it keeps coming up with the code, but I'm wondering why does this even have it to begin with. Does the ECU use this switch to change some things, like idle or something? Maybe if I can figure out why it needs it I can figure out how to get rid of the code.

did you swap from Automatic to Manual? If so you may need to swap out ECUs, or perhaps just ground/unground a certain pin for MT/AT designation. Not sure which is applicatle to this year.

But If you went MT to MT just from a different year, I would suspect a bad switch in the new trans. Or it didn't get plugged in:rolleyes:

Basically, the neutral switch tells the computer whether or not hte car is in gear.

When in gear driving, at closed throttle, NO fuel is injected, allowing for maximum efficiency, and maximum engine braking. The momentum of the vehichle is relied upon to keep the engine revolving.

If the shifter is in neutral, the ecu knows it needs to inject fuel to keep the engine running at closed throttle.

Yes, this was a swap. I took the manual transmission from my 96 OBW and put it in a 97 auto. I also swapped ECU's at the same time, because I also swapped 2.5 with a 2.2, and I grounded the correct AT identification pin, and I stopped getting codes for the automatic trans, but now I just get this one for nuetral switch that I just can't get rid of. Really need help with this one.