Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need electrical help - ignition

So, I swapped EA81 engines a week ago in my '84 GL 4WD. Got everything running and then the new engine overheated. No damage to the headgasket or block, just possibly the radiator. I put a new radiator, water pump, and thermostat in to cover all the cooling system. I drove it around town, and set the timing. Everything was working fine no overheating (the fan kicked in when the temp started to increase. Then later that day it would not start. So, I had the battery checked it was fine, but I bought a charger and charged all the way up just be sure. I had the starter checked, and it was also fine. I then checked the timing again setting it to TD0 and moving the distributor shaft to line up the arrow with the dot on the gear. Still nothing. Removed two spark plugs to check for fouling. Nothing wrong, but tried to see if there was any spark. There was no spark. So, I tested the ignition coil and it was receiving 11.3 volts. I tested a brand new coil and it gave the same reading. So, i tried to see if the ignition coil wire would give me a spark. It would not. Do I need more than 12 volts? I assumed that 11.3 volts was close enough. This could be my problem.

I am wondering what else can or need to check? I've racked my brain and nothing comes to mind. The only other thing that crosses my mind is some sort of switch or relay that I am have not checked, but I do not know where any would be to check.

Thanks for your help,

Sam

Sounds like the ignition module in the distributer. Remove distributer cap, remove rotor and there it sits.....

I hate the shot gun effect (replacing parts) but when all else is checking good then it leaves a main possibility of coil or module. A new module sells for like $70 at parts dealers but a rebuilt ditzy is like $80. I did the same thing you did and figureing worst luck if I bought one and wasn't the problem I would then have a spare... turned out for me that was the problem.

oh... congrats on motor swap etc.. I love my 2- 84 roo's.

Edited by Indrid cold

Even though the voltage is low going to the coil you should still get spark. The voltage should be close to whatever the battery voltage is at the time. If it is lower then it may mean there is a bad connection somewhere but there still should be spark.

Make sure fuse 5 is good, the horn should work if it is ok. The other possible troubles are the CAS in the disty and the ignitor module.

Make sure fuse 5 is good, the horn should work if it is ok. The other possible troubles are the CAS in the disty and the ignitor module.

Sorry Coug.......this is an EA81 with a carb:rolleyes:

No CAS, Fuse 5 is for something else on these.