Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Legacy Door Lock Cylinder Access?

Someone punched out the driver's door key cylinder on my son's car, which leads me to two questions: 1) How do you remove the handle to replace it? And 2) Why would anyone try to break into a beat-up '92 Legacy?!!

Locks all work just fine but it's a pain to have to unlock the passenger door then reach across to manually unlock the driver's side.

I was in Seattle over New Years so we removed the interior door panel to get to the door handle but access is blocked by the window glass. Do you have to remove the window and its operating mechanism to get to the nuts and bracket holding the handle?

Any insights, tips or suggestions appreciated.

Mahalo and Aloha!

You actually don't meed to remove the whole handle mechanism.

The lock cylinder is held in by a clip around it. First, carefully pry the arm out of the cylinder, then pull the clip from around the lock body and it comes right out.

If you want to remove the handle.....you should be able to get at the bolts with a gear wrench.

Thanks Gloyale. Sounds like real fun!!! I suspect we'll have to remove the exterior handle--I'm guessing the area at the back of the cylinder housing was cracked or bent.

Haynes isn't super clear. The exploded drawing (15.2a on page 11-15) shows 2 nuts holding the housing to a bracket. But the photograph (15-6 on page 11-18) indcates 4 nuts to be removed.

Anyone have the appropriate pages from the '92 Legacy FSM they could send me?

Mahalo.