Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In Bristol, Pa... just a hop from the NJ border... I visited a U Pull jy. There were only three Legos... each still had it's engine and tranny in place. I glanced around and most wrecks I saw still had their engines in place. Some at least had their hoods over them but it still seems like poor practice.

Sorry, but this seems odd to me. I've never bought a jy engine but yards I've visited in the past had large components pulled and in their own area. Usually they'd be indoors.

What would be the expectations for these engines? I suppose with a leak down test, an assessment could be made.

Any comment? What would you all suggest as a max price to pay for one of these unknown commodities?

2.5 equip Subs with HG issues show up alot and it seems prudent to think about getting an engine prepped and then shop for a car to drop it in.

I'm just brainstorming, but I can prep an engine in the space I do have... much easier than parking a project for an indefinite time.

New at this huh?

You need to go a little further north in PA to get to the good yards.

Harry's in either Pennsburg or Hazleton has engines for $90

EZ pull in New Ringgold has them for $65

Buy them from a wrecked car so you know it runs.

At harry's if there is an R on the windshield, it's an insurance auction car that ran.

Place I go to charges $150 plus a core (like $25 or something) for any 4 cyl engine. ALL parts (door handle, engine, differential, light switch, plastic trim cover, whatever) come with a 30 day warranty/return policy.

Some U pull it's will take out large parts if they can be sold for more than scrap value to rebuilders. Most of the time, they just drain the fluids and drop it in the yard. Some don't even bother cutting off catalytic converters, even though it's illegal to sell a used one commercially, and they can often get a fair amount of money for old ones from recyclers.

New at this huh?

You need to go a little further north in PA to get to the good yards.

Harry's in either Pennsburg or Hazleton has engines for $90

EZ pull in New Ringgold has them for $65

well new to the area, certainly. thx for the info. Pennsburg is Montgomery county... that/s reasonably close. Hazelton and New Ringgold looks to be a good bit north.