Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 to 6 lug conversion question

KAIS3R

the 6 bolt wheels are 5.5 inch centers with equals 139.7 MM what year? all 6 bolt import trucks and chevy trucks

How do you mean what year (I ask because I thought you answered that by telling me all years..or am I mistaken)?

EDIT: My Brat is an 87

• 2 weeks later...
the front hub and rotor are two seperate pieces. the hub get's new holes, the rotor remains the same.

I think I know what you are talking about but since I ain't looked at a BRAT before I'm a bit confused and not sure how its possible. Do you have a pic that you can take to show me?

I think I know what you are talking about but since I ain't looked at a BRAT before I'm a bit confused and not sure how its possible. Do you have a pic that you can take to show me?

I sure don't. pop a wheel off and check it out...

Edited by spazomatic
got drunk and forgot what all I was gonna say

I am personally a fan of just redrilling the wheels. Drilling more holes into a cast piece is risky to me. Plus you have to drill twice as many holes, and you need to grind down the odd surface on the back side of the hub to get the studs to fit right.

To this day, I've never seen a 4 lug Subaru hub "fail" or lose studs or rip the center of the wheel or anything. 4 studs, espescially that widely spaced are plenty strong.

Fully loaded, with an EJ, my lifted subaru weighs 3300 lbs. Hardly a need for Six wheel studs.

Drilling wheels is easy too. Just knock 2 studs out of an old hub and bolt it up to the six lug you want to redrill. Then drill you're hole through the 2 knocked out stud holes in the hub. This method has yielded very precisely lined up holes. So nice that the wheel stud slips excactly thought he holes with no slop. I don't bevel the redrill holes. I just use "open" lugnuts upside down, so the flat part tightens against the rim, instead of the bevel. The 2 original holes I use the regular lugnuts.

Another nice thing about redrilling wheels is if you f..k up, you can just rotate and redrill between 2 other wheel holes, up to 3 times.

The only reason in my mind to redrill hubs to six lug, would be to run alloy wheels, which can't be easily redrilled.

Ever get any vibrations, shaking etc over like 40 mph? I put on some new redrilled 6 lugs that i got for free from a friend:banana:. But when i get past about 35-40 the steering wheel vibrates and there is a weird noise sounds like its comin from the back

I looked it up on Automotive Repair Reference Center, which is a knock off of Mitchell and Alldata but is not as thorough, and saw how it all went together.

I'm literally mid 6 lug swap, I can post you up some pictures tomorrow AM when I go to put the rest of em on.

I'm literally mid 6 lug swap, I can post you up some pictures tomorrow AM when I go to put the rest of em on.

Thanks bro but I'm good. My buddy and I went to look at a 78 Brat yesterday and then he put a deposit down on it. Little bit of rust repair to be made, needs new motor, fix a few body areas, and just clean up everything else. Without the motor I talked the guy down from $750 to $650. My buddy wants me to do a full rotisserie restoration on it and turn it into a driver and show car. Baja yellow for the body and either silver tone metallic or black for the Brat decal but painted on instead of a sticker. He wants to keep the wheels original too but do disc brake conversion so the 6 lug conversion is out the window for now.;);)