Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for a good Hitatchi.

Since so many of you all toss the Hitatchi when doing the Weber conversion, I figure there's got to be a few sitting around.

I'm in need of a couple good Hitatchi's. Specifically for my 1984 GL 4x4 4spd Wagon. (1983's will not work...I've got one, I've tried.)

What would be even cooler, is if you recently took it off a car, and the carb was running PERFECT! That would be sweet. ( I know, its a long shot... but we can dream, right?)

I like the Hitatchis personally, but have come to realize, I could use a few good donor carbs.

Let me know what you've got. (please include your Price, and a pic would be great too)

'83 is the same as '84 except uses a different vacuum choke pull-off. They can be swapped around if you care enough to bother or just disabled since you don't really need that system if you adjust them correctly.

I have one that I rebuilt and converted to a manual choke if you are interested in it. Works great but might not be what you are looking for. $125 plus shipping would be my asking price as I would have to replace it and rebuild another one for the vehicle it's on.

They are junk carbs though - you should look into a Weber. The Hitachi has too many ancillery systems to be easily tuneable - it was designed for economy and driveability not for performance, tuning, or ease of maintenance. The vacuum secondary really kills the deal for most of us and they can't be tuned for progressive opening due to the lack of a secondary idle circuit or progression holes/slots.

GD

Good to know. I only compared the 83 to the 84 hitatchi, from a visual standpoint. I could see there were some obvious differences, where they were not a straight swap.

I'll pass on the manual choke one. Sounds like you should keep it for the manual choke vehicle. I'll keep checking around. I don't mind the Hitatchis for just the reasons you mentioned. Not interested in performance. Actually, this is the 1st Hitatchi that has given me much trouble. Not interested @ all in the weber!

The manual choke is part of a larger picture de-emissioning and simplifiying of the carb. If you are going to remove the pull-off mechanisms or disable them then it helps to have manual control. The addition of the cable is about $8 and a few minutes to route it to the cabin. No big deal. I completely understand if you want to keep it stock - just a sugestion. I've gone a few rounds with the Hitachi's and found them not really to my liking.

GD