Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ to EA Adapter Question - 3AT

P K

Hello All,

First a qualifyer - I know that I should do a 5 speed swap, granted - but I want to explore something, so please I am only looking for the solution to:

I have Scott's EJ-EA Adapter. Will it work putting an EJ motor to an EA automatic transmission (3AT)?

Plain and simple. I know the 1/2" plate is just right for the EA clutch and 5 speed... but is it right for an EA torque converter and auto trans?

thanks in advance, r/PK

Thanks Gary - I'm with you... logically (on paper) it should work. I guess I just need to talk it out. Drill the flywheel to mate to the EJ and the TC just bolts up the same and EA trans slips in the same depths?

(If I get a few more concurrences, then others can feel free to berate me for the 3AT follies) :eek:

how long do you think the 3at will take the horsepower of a EJ engine?

popcorn

3AT came behind lots of Turbo EA82s which had roughly the same power as a non-turbo EJ.

Honestly.......It will all be dependent on how it's driven. If it's not revved up and dropped into gear for burnouts, I think it will be just fine.

P K

I would be wary of ovalizing the flex plate holes. Mainly b/c the flex plate is a lot thinner than the flywheel. It might be safer to have a piece of steel w/the right holes welded to the flex plate. I know that the EJ autos have a small metal plate that fits on the crank along with the flex plate. I have one lying around somewhere in my garage, if you are going forward with this give me a call and I can send it to you.

BW

i would assume that an ea82 torque converter will bolt onto the EJ flex plate. spacing will be correct using the adapter plate(1/2" or 12mm thick)

this is an assumption, i have yet to confirm

3at Torque converters will NOT bolt to EJ flexplates.

EA82T with 4spd(4EAT) torque converters are the same as SOME early legacy, and will bolt up to the EJ flexplate. Does't help with a 3at swap at all as the TCs are totatally different.

Ovaling the holes on the flexplate will be fine.....As Sk'o noted though you will want the ring that goes over the plate to bolt it down.....use that from the EJ. If you wanted to make tripple sure......weld that cover to the flexplate after redrilling and mounting.

As a side note, those rings are very convenient to bolt ontp EA flywheels as a template for modification for EJ swap.

Edited by Gloyale

3at Torque converters will NOT bolt to EJ flexplates.

EA82T with 4spd(4EAT) torque converters are the same as SOME early legacy, and will bolt up to the EJ flexplate. Does't help with a 3at swap at all as the TCs are totatally different.

Thanks for the confirm. BTW thateas s'ko who made the comment on the smaller mounting ring

Please let us know how this turns out and what parts you use to make it work. This is something I have thought about doing to my brat but not having an ej handy I installed an ea82 and spfi that I had laying around. It runs better than the ea81 and was basicly a boltin job but now I am thinking about an ej and want to keep the 3at at least temporarily. I know that the 4eat would be better but unlike most people I have had fairly good luck with the 3at.