Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 legacy with a transplant motor. It is a n ej22 HLA OBD2, so maybe like 95 or 96 I guess, anyways I am having trouble getting the HLA's to "pump up". I had one that was ticking real bad, removed it, it was sticky so I cleaned it up now it is springs up but no luck in submerging it into oil and pumping it to get it hard. Am I using the wrong technique?

Thanks for your help

Dave

I have a 98 legacy with a transplant motor. It is a n ej22 HLA OBD2, so maybe like 95 or 96 I guess, anyways I am having trouble getting the HLA's to "pump up". I had one that was ticking real bad, removed it, it was sticky so I cleaned it up now it is springs up but no luck in submerging it into oil and pumping it to get it hard. Am I using the wrong technique?

Thanks for your help

Dave

There is a check valve in them. You have to "open" it to fill them with oil. Use a pin to poke the plunger in the bottom of the HLA while compressing it in oil. This will release the goopy old oil inside, and let it fill.

They should not be "springy" when you are done. Should be pumped up real tight....just barely able to compress by hand.

That is why EJ HLAs are so much better than EA. The Check valve in them.