Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1997 subaru legacy it has a small sticker on it that says its a montana edition. Dont know it that even matters if some one can help me track down my problem.

1. It has sat in a car port for nearly 2 years. (widowed co-worker)

2. Gas was added to the tank a year ago. (she wanted to drive it again)

3. It will not start, but turns over fine.

4. She says it was over heating thats why she parked it.

I don't know all that much about subaru, but what i do know is i have a good battery! It will turn over just fine. I'm getting spark as i can get it to run for 10 to 15 seconds with a shot of starter fluid.

So i'm thinking I either have no fuel delivery or one of the numerous sensors is bad. I plan to check fuel next weekend when I have more time to tinker with it. I will change out the fuel filter at that time as well. I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump for about 2 seconds when i first turn the key on.

Any ideas would be great. I need to get it running so i can run down the overheating issue later. That should be easy compared to getting it started.

Thanks

The fuel isn't getting to the cylinders. Pull the hose from the fuel filter to the fuel rail and have someone turn the car over. I'll bet there is no fuel coming out of that hose. If that is the case, then you will need a new fuel pump. If it does give you fuel, I'd bet that you have gas that is just too old. it won't ignite and burn and therefore you will not get the car started. Youu will have to drain all of the old gas and fill her up with good stuff.

Having worked on many of these cars, I can tell you that the overheating problem is due to bad headgaskets. Don't go thru all of the hassles of trying to figure it out. Just pull the engint and replace the gaskets. You will then have a great car to drive.

Good Luck

mdjdc Thanks for help. Do you have any idea how much it costs for a Head gasket repair?

I will check for fuel at the fuel rail wednesday when I look at it again. Is the Head gasket repair really that hard or just take alot of time. I have access to a friends garage with a car lift and everything to get the job done.

Thanks Dan

I can do a head gasket in a day, but I have done several. It isn't beyond the abilities of the shade tree mechanic. If you have never done one before, I would plan on a weekend, of getting the engine out and rolling the car out while you work on the engine. You will need the step by step order for the replacement and torquing the gaskets is a different sequence than most cars. If you want help or some guidance I can PM you my phone number and I can talk you thru the steps and what you should have on hand before you even start. Above all, use only subaru headgaskets. Trust no others or you will be doing the job again.

Mike

Mike, thanks alot! i did get your number. I will be looking at the car tonight or tomorrow again. I'm confident in my ability as the shade tree mechanic to get the car fixed. I dont wrench on things regularly but have rebuilt lawn mowers, a chevy 350 and a VW 1835 along with a few motorcyles in the past. I'm sure i can get it done. have seen a few different prices on here and other webs pages stating the cost ranges from $200 for the DIY guy to over $2000 for the dealership to fix the head gaskets. I would be fine with the cost of around $200 to $500 for me to complete the job. I will take your advice on using only Subaru head gaskets. I will be checking the price of them here at our local subaru shop. Should I get a full gasket set? Im sure i will need to replace some other gaskets along the way. I was also considering replacing the timing belt just for good measure since i will have it all out of the car anyhow.

Talk to you later, Dan.

Dan,

There are many threads on changing head gaskets. I would recommend checking prices at on-line Subaru dealers as the parts are often cheaper than the walk up price at your local dealer. If you get a trade discount at your dealer then go with that.

Since the car is around 13 yrs old and has been sitting for a while you may want to consider changing the following parts while you have the engine out as you have access and you are there anyway:

Timing Belt

TB Idler and Tensioner Pulleys

Water Pump

Subaru Thermostat

Camshaft and Fwd Crank Seals

Reseal the Oil Pump

Oil Separator Cover

Spark Plugs (NGK) and OEM Spark Plug Wires

Accessory Belts (Alternator/AC)

Have the heads checked for flatness, valve leak down test and change valve stem seals.

I would get an engine seal kit as it will have most of what you need. Check prices on seals individually though.

Take a good look at the hoses in the engine compartment and replace any that are hard. Vacuum hoses too. Since you are there PCV valve and Subaru Rad Cap too.

For driveability you may need to change brakes and tires. You can check that as you see fit.

There may be things that I have forgotten but hopefully others will chime in.

Good luck!

Get rid of the stale gas.

1-2 year old gas is too old.The more volatile components are gone and what is left is breaking down.Any discolouration is bad.

Adding new to old doesn`t work well either as the damaged old gas catalyzes breakdown of the new.

Yes, I have planned on removing/draining the old gas. the bad thing is the tank is full! The nice little neighbor lady who im fixing this for added 10 gallons to the tank a year ago! she wanted to start driving the car again and ran down to the corner gas station with 2, 5 gallon cans and topped off the tank with new gas. (Now its bad gas!)

We need to get it gone and add some new stuff! I was going to do that after I figured out why I have no fuel flow at the filter. Going to put a new battery in the car and check the relay and the pump this weekend. If i can get fuel flow then I will take care of the old gas. Once I know I can get the car running I'm going to buy it from her.

I will pull the engine and replace the headgaskets and timing belt and have myself a nice liuttle car with 140K on it.

Thanks to everyone with comments and help given. Im new to subaru and looks like they have there problems just like anything. I'm looking forward to getting this one back on the road.

Edited by smith2016

I pulled 10 gallons of stale gas out of the car and put 5 gallons of fresh fuel back in the car. As for the fuel pump it was submerged in the fuel so it did not dry out. I pulled it out cleaned it up with some carb cleaner. directly hooked it up to 12 volts and tapped the side with a wood block and it took off running just fine.

I put it all back together and put a fresh battery in the car and it fired up with no problems. drove it 4 miles and let it idle 15 minute before and after the drive. no overheating temp gauge never even came close to half way. it sat at about 1/3 on the temp gauge.

I will get it registered and insured before I drive it enough to see how bad the overheating issue is.

Thanks for the comments and ideas on here, they have helped and now its running again. on to the over heating issue next.