Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Transmission TECH help requested

Looking for some tech help please -

Will a legacy 98 5 speed manual trans work as a replacement for a 99 legacy same set-up (2.2L AWD)

I'm told the 98 works fine even though the 98 is an 8 bolt pattern bell housing and the 99 is a 4 bolt - will this work?

Tnks

Mike

I think it's the other way around. 99 has the 8 bolt. 99 IIRC also has the first year for hydraulic clutch release, which means the release fork may be different. But a new one is only like $25 from a dealer. Some people recommend replacing the fork when doing clutch/transmission work because they have a tendency to crack. That's about as far as I can help, but I'm pretty sure it will bolt up work just fine otherwise.

The one thing you will need to watch out for is the differential ratio. You have to match that to your rear diff.

Yeah the bell housing bolt difference won't matter. Bellhousing changed in 98 so it should be the same as a 99, unless it's an early oddball 98 or something. Either way doesn't matter since it works fine and bolts right up.

Make sure both transmissions are the same clutch type - Subaru uses hydraulic and cable in various models. My suspicion is they can be "converted" but you'd probably want to make sure and know that ahead of time.

You will also need to verify the final drive ratio like he just said. The transmissions you're describing will be either 3.9 or 4.11. Subaru was multi-personality when choosing final drive ratios, they are all over the place although my guess is that yours is 3.9 - although you haven't told exactly what car you have (trim, etc).

... the only difference is the fork...

...and the pivot location for the fork inside the bell housing. There should be a casting for both style of forks but you'd need to tap threads into the one that isn't normally used.

Not to mention you'll need a master and slave cylinders. I'm not sure if you can use the cable type clutch pedal but I suspect not.

Will-

Some people recommend replacing the fork when doing clutch/transmission work because they have a tendency to crack.

OH YES, definitely get a new fork and remember to grease the hell out of the pivot point. I've had to do this before and its no fun pulling the whole tranny out just for piece of stamped metal. I replaced the clutch while I was at it so it was more worth my time, but still very frustrating.