Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird clutch issues (slipping)

I rebuilt the EJ25 motor in a 98 Outback and replaced the clutch, plate, bearings while I was at it. Never worked on a hydrolic clutch before, but it looked simple enough.

Have about 2K on the motor now and today after a long drive in 3rd the clutch began to slip under moderate load. Stopped to pick up groceries and I tried the stall test against the wall of a building, engine stalled out. Drove home could not get it to repeat.

Also, every once in awhile I push the clutch all the way in and the pedal hangs. I always figured it was the floor matt, maybe a related symptom?

When I did the clutch I bleed the entire system and filled it with DOT 4.

Any suggestions?

Subaru OEM parts. Clips and all bearings were replaced.

Didn't grind the flywheel as it looked great.

Nothing done with the master nor slave.

The sticky clutch at full depression really does feel like the floor mat. Its the slipping that had me concerned. I've replaced a lot of clutches but never had one slip like this. First time it has done oit and it only happened after a long drive.

I think there was a bulletin about this...could also be due to the clutch hose collapsing internally and acting like a check valve. (keeps pressure on the slave cylinder which is like pressing your foot on the pedal)

Replace the hose 1st, or just wipe the system out and replace the master, slave and hose. Once hydraulic parts get to the age where one fails, the others are usually close behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Wholy cow, the last post was right on. The darn master went out for good today as I pulled into the garage. Got the slave, master and hose coming to me.

I love the days of the clutch cable. So easy to adjust and so easy to check.

Heck I fixed one once with a pen and dental floss.

Those parts are not all that cheap! Eeeek....

Replaced the slave (seized) and master (leaking) it works now. I used the cap from the old master to help bleed the system. Attached my vacuum pump to it and sucked DOT 4 fluid through the slave bleed screw to fill the system. Worked like a charm.:banana:

Back on the road again....

Will post picture after dinner.

This is the fill system I made to prevent the clutch bleeding headaches. Its similar to what we use to fill the hydraulic clutch system on our massive K500 trucks.

IMGP1665.jpg

I ripped the inner liner off the old master cylinder. Added the large fitting to the caps vent port (wrapped with Teflon tape to help seal it good)

IMGP1668.jpg

I then hooked a hose to the slaves bleed port and put the other end into a can of DOT 4 fluid.

IMGP1673.jpg

Here you can see the DOT 4 can, and hose going to the slave, the vacuum hose is hooked to the new master cylinder's reservoir.

IMGP1675.jpg

Here you can see the vacuum pump. It took about 45 seconds before the master was half full of DOT 4 fluid. (the mason jar is my vacuum brake bleed jar to power bleed the brakes)

Shut the bleed screw and secured the pump. Removed the cap, topped off the fluid, put on the new cap. Pumped the clutch four quick times and that was it.

Took the wife out to dinner to celebrate. She was very happy to have her garage space back. Very happy. I'm even more happy to have my Outback back. So glad the slave didn't blow while in Whistler watching the Olympics... :grin: