Ultimate Subaru Message Board

question

caveman50

you can do away with the charcoal canister, unless you make it work with the trike fuel tank, it will be obsolete. you can ditch the EGR, and lose the whole vacuum manifold that is bolted to the intake. you may have to pull the intake to do it.

you can leave everything else the way it is. anything beyond the pcv valve and the intake boot itself will be purely aesthetics, and if you do something different, you will want to keep the pcv system functioning, and understand how it flows through the motor if you use the little breather caps on the valve covers

other

I am new here, & relitavely new to subaru, I am in the process of building a trike with an ea82 fuel inj. engine, my question is how much smog garbage can i remove without hurting performance

hi, you need to keep the o2 sensor, the cts, if its multi port you need to keep the knock sensor. the throttle pos sensor, the afm, the crankcase venting. i have a car that i blocked egr function at the heads and it runs fine, so that system can go, but leave the electricals it has solenoids and vavuum tubes involved that i left intact, or it throws a code. i guess you are using the ea car computer. if using a carburetor that is not computer controlled , go for all you want except crankcase venting .

As long as you are trying something, and not just blowing smoke up our skirts, you aren't wasting our time. :):grin:

This place is a wealth of information. Brave the search function if you are looking for things like wiring info, or TPS tuning tips, etc.

Pics of the Trike would be cool too!!!

The only "garbage" on these systems is the Evap solenoid, and the EGR. Both can be removed, but you won't gain anything by doing so.

It really would be best to leave at least the EGR and it's solenoid operational.

The Evap system can be eliminated, but you will want to leave the solenoid plugged in so as not to throw a code. Or wire in a 33 ohm resistor in it's stead.