Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So ive been doing a little research because i want to swap my 95 Legacy L from an auto to a manual. So i understand the rear diff and the trans need to match, concerning the gearing, which from what i gatherd is most likely 4.11. So now a non turbo first gen legacy comes with a 4.11 Manual trans. And since the drivetrain aare essentially the same from 90-99 i can use the first gen trans without having to replace the rear diff. Yes?

Does this sound right to you guys? or am i just like rambling because its 3am? haha

Also i was curious would i need to swap out my front axles too, or will the auto ones work?

One more thing :grin: do i NEED a manual TCU? I've read somewhere where its makes a huge difference, and i read somewhere that said they are exactly the same, so i dunno.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

I am in the middle of such a swap. There are transmission charts that outline the years and the final drive ratios.

There seem to be two schools of thought: 1. change trans and rig the wiring for the manual trans (reverse switch etc) 2. change the wiring harness so that everything works stock.

I chose the second. It doesnt take long to get the dash out (1-1.5 hours) Then another hour or so to pull the harness. The harness plugs into the fuse box dash and vehicle wiring harness. It also makes switching the the pedal cluster waaaay easy. The ignition switches are different: you can either switch them or rig the lock out so the key will come out.

As far as the computers i've read that people who do the swap and don't switch then get weird coded pertaining to the auto portion of the ecu. My OBW that im putting the 5 speed in is completely apart now....i'll be taking pic of the reassembly. I'll try and get them posted when Im done.

The swap takes some patience.. I did it in about a week and a half, looooong days.