Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 76 DL wagon

Picked this up from Portland yesterday :banana: Its in really good shape, and it runs and drives now. Something is loose in the shifter, but i will fix that later. The CL seller thought it had a bad clutch, but it turned out to be a stripped out front hub, so I spent 15 minutes swapping that out and drove it off the trailer :grin: Runs pretty good, the radiator was empty, so I filled it, no water in the oil, so hopefully no blown HG, didnt see any bubbles in the coolant either. So far no serious rust to speak of, just some cosmetic stuff on the front fenders and around the rear hatch window. I havent looked under the car yet, or under the carpet though, but Ii doubt it has any rust down there either.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

That passenger front wheel is a Jackman too :banana:

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

The only real dents I noticed are the rear driver side door, and there is some damage on the rear passenger quarterpanel, but nothing serious at all

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

The interior is kinda trashed, but I love the stock tan colors, and the back seat is still halfway decent. Dash is toast, and the driver side inner door handle is busted.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

The engine is the stock single-port dry-sleeve 1400, and it runs great! No real rust at all on the package tray/bulkhead, just some surface rust, easily remedied.

Overall it seems to be a pretty nice car. I picked it up specifically so I can borrow the engine/trans to put in my 72 tailgate wagon so I can get it inspected and titled, so I can begin working on it. Once the Tailgate wagon is legal, I will put everything back in the 76 and fix some of the broken parts with parts from my 76 4wd wagon. My tailgate wagon, just for effect :grin:

IMG00435.jpg

IMG00433.jpg

IMG00434.jpg

-Bill

• 3 weeks later...

here is a nice pic of it before the lift right after i buffed it out , still got the wheels traded the girl in on a new one god that car went through hell from water over the doors to 3 feet in the air to half gallon of scotch in 2 feet of snow good memorys wouldnt mind getting it back

post-17871-136027640202_thumb.jpg

Wait, the lifted 76 I got from Robbie used to be yours??? You wouldnt happen to still have the title for that, would you? I was planning on parting it cuz I couldnt get the title, but if its got a title, I can resurect that thing and make it better than before... It has some rust issues, and the whole lift will be replaced, but I'd rather keep it on the road than scrap it

-Bill

i sold it in about 2003-4 to a guy that just moved up from texas to ellensburg and he loved it till the base gasket on the carb blew and he never fixed it and it and he moved around ellensburg for awhile. looking at the pics its 100% for sure the same car so if for some reason he never put it in his name i could help with a title. if not i still might have the sellers report with his name and address. dont part it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FWI on that 72 wagon Danny in TN (has all the nos stuff on ebay all the time) anyb)way he has NOS upper and lower tailgates if you need them.

i hadnt seen your wagon before welcome to club..(tailgatewagon club) the only other 72 wagon i saw went to the crusher before i could save it but it was white just like yours....

I've been looking for '72-73 front bumper brackets for some time now (and a few other things for my '73 Wagon). Any chance you have contact for that guy Danny in TN? Thanks!

Danny Williams - "drivesubies" on here.

dwilliams5053 at charter . net

I might have them too but buried. I'll try to get my hands on them too but work with Danny for sure. Don't wait on me right now.

I don't have my old FPM's handy , so can you send me a pic of one to match up? PM or moosens at yahoo

Thanks for the info Paul. I'll get in touch with Danny about the brackets. I know you're buried these days. I'm the same way... Sure would be nice to have 30 hours days and the energy of a 20-year-old again!

Danny Williams - "drivesubies" on here.

dwilliams5053 at charter . net

I might have them too but buried. I'll try to get my hands on them too but work with Danny for sure. Don't wait on me right now.

I don't have my old FPM's handy , so can you send me a pic of one to match up? PM or moosens at yahoo

Hey thanks Subyguy! Let me know when you're ready and I'd love to make a deal on those. I had someone munch my bumper years ago, and finally found an NOS '73 bumper in Colorado Springs. But no luck with brackets all this time. My existing ones are pretty bad...could straighten left, but right one is torn apart.

Someday I hope to get caught up with sorting and organizing, I'm hoping to post some of my excess stuff to maybe help out with parts on the board.

ive got a set ill be pulling this week if you need some