Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy gt Headlight trouble

Its amazing how hard it is to find a correct/instock manual for this car...

Anyways. Does anybody here have any clue how to take my headlight cover off to clean? Im completely lost here :( Also any light to be shed on how to get to my front turnsignals would be awsome :banana:

Its amazing how hard it is to find a correct/instock manual for this car...

Anyways. Does anybody here have any clue how to take my headlight cover off to clean? Im completely lost here :( Also any light to be shed on how to get to my front turnsignals would be awsome :banana:

the head light bulbs are accessable from the back side, turn signals may be the same, i haven't done one yet.

polishing the headlights to brighten them up is pretty easy and you do not have to remove them to do it. (the covers do not come off but the housing is removeable if you really want to do it, but not necessary.) you can search for 'polishing headlights' or restoring or the similar.

auto parts store sell a kit with all you need ~$20.00, i think. the pieces parts can be had for less, but the kit has it all in one place for one price with instructions.

To change the turn signal bulb, open the hood, I think there is one screw holding the plastic corner of the turn signal unit in place. Then, then use the palm of your hand to slide the corner unit forward. There are plastic slide channels on the back of the plastic corner that will glide forward. Reassemble in reverse order.

There are kits available at car parts store to polish the clear plastic lens of the head light units. However, first you may want to try polishing using a wet paper towel and tooth paste as the polishing agent. Have a bucket of water at your side to wash off the tooth past to see how clear your light lens is becoming. I have found this works pretty well.

To change the turn signal bulb, open the hood, I think there is one screw holding the plastic corner of the turn signal unit in place. Then, then use the palm of your hand to slide the corner unit forward.

Thanks so much bra! That was exactly how i changed my turnsignal! I like you private, id let you F*** my sister! That screw was striped but i got it off and on in about 5 mins

There are kits available at car parts store to polish the clear plastic lens of the head light units.

So your saying that i DO NOT need to remove the headlight to shine it up? I was thinking the "yellow" gunk was on the inside from dew and such dripping in there and evaporating and such. - all i need to do is just clean the outside with some highpowered toothpaste? xD ill give that a shot Thanks so much guys

The yellowing is from UV radiation discoloring the outer layer of plastic. If you polish it, it will clear it up for a while. Clearcoating the lense can help keep it clear for longer. Or, you can repolish every couple years.

Where's that sister at and do you have pics?

The yellowing is from UV radiation discoloring the outer layer of plastic. If you polish it, it will clear it up for a while. Clearcoating the lense can help keep it clear for longer. Or, you can repolish every couple years.

Where's that sister at and do you have pics?

So i just polish the outside with Extra power whiting toothpaste/lense cleaning kits from autozone? That will get rid of the yellow nastyness?

As for my sister, she rides in my car everywhere i go

sister

http://pineappleope.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Brunette-in-a-racing-seatbelt-2641-402x600.jpg

So i just polish the outside with Extra power whiting toothpaste/lense cleaning kits from autozone? That will get rid of the yellow nastyness?

As for my sister, she rides in my car everywhere i go

sister

http://pineappleope.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Brunette-in-a-racing-seatbelt-2641-402x600.jpg

Any brand of tooth paste will work! No need to remove the lens from the car. Easier to clean if you sit down in front of the lens assembly on something like a step stool, or the like.

Yea, I can see why your "sister" rides everywhere with you. The way she dresses, she can't leave your car without drawing a large crowd of gawkers!