Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio/Stereo dead - 97 Legacy Outback 2.5, 80W.

Hey there, you helpful gods of the Subaru, I've got another question for y'all. Why is my radio dead? So here's what's up: the clock works. Turning the power/volume knob doesn't do anything. Neither does pressing any of the buttons except for DISP and the up/down tuner which controls the clock settings. If I unplug the unit and plug it back in, I get some whirring of the tape deck inside. Is there any way to save this? If not, what's the cheapest possible way I can get back to my tape deck/iPod music!? Thanks folks!

Sean

You could always replace it with an aftermarket unit. I have a single din pioneer that plays cd's mp3's and has an aux input to plug your ipod into.

It has a remote control too and is brand new. It is an open box, so I had to buy a remote for it, but the thing is complete. you can then fill the second din with a pocket for storage of little things. If you want mine I can sell you the unit for 75.00 plus shipping and I will get you the pocket to go with it. The only thing you need for installation is the subaru harness adapter and that is 12.00 online. I can get you the link for ordering that too.

Let me know

Mike

Thanks for the offer and the ideas everyone. But ideally $12 is what I'd like to spend on the whole project. I'm going to check Pick-n-Pull now that I know I can use models up to '05. Cheers. :)

Edit:

So, I checked the Pick-n-Pull site and they have a bunch of Legacys from 90, 91, 92, 95, and 96 around the county. Would those radios work?

Edited by sean56a

Thanks for the offer and the ideas everyone. But ideally $12 is what I'd like to spend on the whole project. I'm going to check Pick-n-Pull now that I know I can use models up to '05. Cheers. :)

Edit:

So, I checked the Pick-n-Pull site and they have a bunch of Legacys from 90, 91, 92, 95, and 96 around the county. Would those radios work?

95-99 would work for sure. I have my doubts on 91 & 92, different body style, and prolly different electrical connectors.

If you snag one from a Pick-n-Pull, I would suggest trying out the new unit in the parking lot, before driving away. That way, you will know for sure that the new unit works. If not, you are still at the Pick-n-Pull with the quick ability to pull another unit. Check to make sure your radio fuse is good before installing a new radio.