Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 gl u-joints

hey so the u-joint in the very front driveline in my 88gl 4wd went out. i went to napa today and they told me that the u-joints are unreplacable and it was 600 bucks for the driveline. do i have any options like drilling the driveline out were the u-joints go and get a bigger sized u-joint?? i have little experince with this type of thing so any help helps!!

They can be replaced - it takes a little work. You have to grind out the stakes to remove the old one's and then they make a retro-fit kit to replace the u-joints with a regular non-staked unit. Call up Rockford CV and talk to them. Also most driveline shops can do it. The yoke's are very soft so you have to be careful about how it's done.

The joint is the same as some model of Toyota among other things.

If you run some searches on the board here you should come up with lots of threads discussing this.

By far the easiest solution is to just source a used driveline - they are cheap and rarely fail so it's pretty easy to find a good replacement. Shoot some grease into the joints with a needle and be on your way for less than $50 and almost no work.

GD