Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rubing noise coming from the drivers side, front area.

Hi,

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy LS, automatic transmission, disengaged ABS. The car has 246000k on it. I can hear a noise coming from the front drivers side area of vehicle. I start to hear the noise when the car has warmed up and you are driving at a speed of 40 km/h. The noise is not continuous. It is comparable to a noise made by a steam locomotive. The faster you go the faster the noise repeats itself. Past 80km/h you can not hear the noise anymore. Turning does not make the noise louder nor more quiet but you still have to be at a speed above 40 km/h to be able to hear it.

I have noticed the noise about one week ago. What is interesting is that last few days when it was raining the noise went away. Today is sunny again and after driving about 15 km the noise came back.

Any ideas as what can be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Possibly tires, try putting on your spare wheel on the wheel that seems to be making noise and make sure the spare is fully inflated. If the noise goes away it is definitely the tire.

Could also be a CV axle yet if turning doesn't make it louder probably not the issue. Another thing to consider is the wheel bearings. Hope this helps!

Hi,

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy LS, automatic transmission, disengaged ABS. The car has 246000k on it. I can hear a noise coming from the front drivers side area of vehicle. I start to hear the noise when the car has warmed up and you are driving at a speed of 40 km/h. The noise is not continuous. It is comparable to a noise made by a steam locomotive. The faster you go the faster the noise repeats itself. Past 80km/h you can not hear the noise anymore. Turning does not make the noise louder nor more quiet but you still have to be at a speed above 40 km/h to be able to hear it.

I have noticed the noise about one week ago. What is interesting is that last few days when it was raining the noise went away. Today is sunny again and after driving about 15 km the noise came back.

Any ideas as what can be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 91 Legacy and had a L/rear wheel bearing noise that I neglected

until I went on a 600 mi. trip. The noise was noticeable at 45mph and got louder the faster I went, with the loudest whine occurring about 75, after that, it became less noticeable the faster you went until you heard nothing but road and wind. It was really getting loud by the time I got to where I was going. I put the car on a lift and ran with all 4 wheels off the ground. Use a stethescope in the bearing areas of each wheel while someone else is in the vehicle running in gear and It will be obvious if you have a bearing going out.

Hope this might help.

Mike