Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel Bearings!!! Stationed in Germany with a US spec 2003 Forester. I need rear wheel bearings and the repair shop tells me, I need to find/buy them (because they don't stock them) and they will install them. I got on line and have found a couple different types and I'm confused on what to order. I called the dealer back in the states and he gave me a Subaru manufacture stock number 28016AA030. Would anyone know what bearing/seal kits fit a 2003, and a good place to buy them since the dealer won't send overseas. Also, would german and US specs be the same with wheel bearings?

Thanks, Bill

Are you taking your car to a Subaru mechanic? My brother is stationed in Geilenkirchen and has had his 02 WRX serviced there for the past two years without any problems. As to whether the euro-spec and USDM bearings are the same, I'm not sure, but it stands to reason that they would be. It would be strange for an item such as that to have different specs (glass, impact protection, and emissions are usually the main sticking points between various countries' regulations). There is almost no aftermarket support for Subie's in Germany, but the UK is a rabid breeding ground of subaru fans. You may have to pay VAT coming from the UK, but it may easier to source. Good luck.

The number the dealer gave you matches what I found here:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=11690

Its the bearing and three seals. Would the dealer ship to an APO?

Hard to figure out from other non OEM sites what specifically you need as they talk about seals and bearings and not too clearly. Some suggest changing the wheel hubs when you change the bearings.