Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys,

New to the forum and am considering a 2002 Legacy L, automatic trans with roughly 84K on the ticker.

I have heard both good and bad about this particular model particularly with the head gaskets, knock sensors, air fuel ration sensor, and ECM's. Is this common in all models, or just the unlucky few? The car needs new tires, new tie rod end, sway bar, brakes and rotors turned and cosmetically needs work, but if I can get another 100K out of it I would be a happy man.

Is this car a good bet, or an unnecessary risk? I have over 200K on my Honda Civic and will be needing to find another car soon for my commute north through the notch.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. I appreciate the advice and expertise.

Chris

Welcome to the USMB Chris.

Does the current owner have any service records for it? Besides the items you mentioned, (which I don't have much direct experience with on that particular model/year) the automatic transmissions can give you issues if the fluid has not been changed regularly.

I'd suggest checking it over, or bringing it to a mechanic to check over if you're serious on purchasing it.

Hey thanks so much!

It was taken to a local Subaru shop for the $200 check-up from a prospective buyer (2 weeks ago). The list was generated there with the new tires, brakes, rotors, etc... but the head gasket checked out ok, everything else seemed ok.

There is a ticking sound and I have heard that the subarus make that sound (I am hearing 2 sounds...one is like a sewing machine and the other is a little louder). I am hoping that it is not the pistons or valves??? Don't know much about the 2.5L's so I have not clue...but the report didn't mention any engine problems that were diagnosed.

Any idea what that sound is? Is that normal or typical of these models, or should I be concerned about that? There is also a whistling at the drivers side...near the side mirror. I have heard that the windows whistle a bit, but didn't know if there was a fix for that?

Thanks again

Chris

I have a 2002 legacy. The good news is that there is nothing to worry about in regards to the Knock sensor, the MAF [mass air flow], or the ECM. However, during the production run, Subaru changed the head gasket. Call the stealership and ask if the vin number is before or after the change if you want to know. Subaru offered a 8 year guarantee replacement for the cars before the change, which is now expired [since the change occured in the latter part of 01].

BUT, there are indications that the head gasket change was not a cure all. There are posts from people with 03-05+ with head gasket failures! So an unknown number of Subarus' made after the change will have head gasket failures. This is better then before the change where the failure may be almost universal. I would guess that the failure, from what I've read,will always occure after about 80K miles.

Finally, be aware that the head gasket failure for the cars after the change is not very obvious. Mostly, the coolant leaks out, very slowly at first, and evaporates on some of the hot surfaces. You can smell it- maybe.

Good Luck.

I have a 2002 2.5l. For what it's worth, the Cat went at 81,000 mi, both headgaskets went at 98,000 mi (external leak), and the knock sensor went at 103,000 mi.

Whatever price you get it, I would set aside at least $1000 for this engine.

I also have a 150,000mi civic and feel it's more reliable than the 103,000mi forester.

oh and be careful with the externally leaking headgaskets. A lot of dealers will say the headgaskets are OK when in reality they are weeping. It is best you check it out for yourself.

Edited by StructEngineer

Maybe I should see if I can get another couple of years out of the Honda? I just wish it was better in the snow. Living in NH, one really needs to have 4 wheel or AWD. I may pass on this one as I did smell a bit of that sweet glycol scent after I test drove the car. We will see...

Thanks for the info guys!

Chris

I imagine that the head gasket work will run somewhere between $600 and $700.00 or would it be more? Then the timing belt would need to be replaced fairly soon...when does subaru recommend the change (100K or sooner?).

I have also heard of a conditioner that one can add to the coolant to retard the bad effects that might cause the head gaskets to go in the first place. Has anyone had any experience with that as well?

Thanks again

Chris

Properly done headgaskets will run about $1800. The subaru "coolant conditioner" just delays the inevitable.

OUCH!!!

So the head gasket is bound to fail? Once fixed...will it come back at another 80K? Or do the new head gaskets solve the problem?

A civic with 230k is more reliable than this Subaru.

Civics need: timing belt and water pump, and regular oil changes.

Subaru needs much much more, bearings, axles, headgaskets, etc.

Wow...this bums me out!

I will keep looking I guess. Thanks for all the help you guys!

Chris :)

I have been reading some good things on these '02's as well. Confusing as hell. And some owners are at 120K with no head gasket problems, but most have replaced the timing belt. So maybe this car isn't dead yet! :-\

Chris, we have a 2003 and have exhibited none of the problems listed above. Have used the Subaru coolant conditioner from the start ($2 or less per bottle at dealer) and have had no problelms. Current have 126K on the engine.

Timing belt should be changed at 105K, or not if you believe that a timing belt should be changed at the 7 year mark regardless of mileage.

My next decision point for retaining this car is 150K miles.

All said, I am not sure I would purchase a used Subaru unless very complete maintenance records were kept. There are too many variables and too many people who will (knowingly or unknowingly) short the car on maintenance and tire issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you guys. I negotiated the price down $1200 and spent $1000 on new brakes, tie rod end, anti sway bar, two front rotors turned, new mirror and a tail light...as well as 4 new tires balanced and mounted.

Had it for a week and things seem to be going well. I will be proactive with the timing belt and have heard that the head gasket may be covered by subaru if the fix is within 8 years or 100K, whichever comes first. 84K on the clock so I am under there...butI am right on the cusp of the 8 year mark. I am not sure if there was a class action suit or what, but I have heard rumblings that the work may be covered? I would have the timing belt taken care of while the head is off.