Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yes I did post this in another thread. I have two problems I am trying to figure out.

I have multiple problems but this one I can't figure out. My steering wheel only locks 90degrees off center now. The wheels and steering wheel are still aligned straight. So, if I hold the steering wheel straight the wheels are straight, but when I turn off the ignition and take the key out, the steering wheel does not lock unless I rotate it 90 degrees. It did not do this before. What causes this?

Now on to the other problems. I think my steering rack is thrashed. When I am going under 10 miles an hour, there is a lot of play and some shaking in the steering. I checked tie rods, ball joints, cv, brakes, wheel bearing, etc. They all feel firm with no play. If I go under the car and somebody moves the steering wheel left to right quickly only a few inches, there is a metal on metal knock or ping coming from the steering rack. Steering rack u-joints feel tight. When I do a full lock turn, there is a noticeable groan/noise and 'bad' feeling in the steering. Power steering fluid level is fine.

I also did hit a pretty bad pothole the other day.

I did find a cheap used steering rack and I am willing to replace it, but I am not sure what to do about the steering wheel lock problem and if they are related.

1995 Legacy wagon 285k Auto