Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It's overheating. I noticed only one of the two fans seem to work. It has about 200,000 on it but it was running great until this overheating problem started. I put a new radiator in it but that didn't seem to help.

Are there any Subaru Gurus in Oklahoma?

I would suggest replacing the woater pump; here is a story of mine relative to what you might expect.

I went to look at a 95 legacy for sale. owner said the water pump needed replaced, as it would overheat. the car sat for 9 months. We added water and warmed the engine up. I watched the gauge and waited for the thermostat to open. the engine would boil over. we replaced the thermostat and tried again. coolant would not move through, and the temp gauge would rise before the heat came on.

the next week i bought the car with the intentions of replacing the water pump. i drove the car the 5 blocks to my house. the water pump seized and melted the timing belt a block from my house. the next afternoon we were back on the road with a spare used pump and belt. this car had 200,000 miles

the impeller rusts out reducing efficiency, and eventually will fail at the baring(leak or seizure)

take the tome to replace the water pump, and take the opportunity to replace the front engine and cam seals, and put on a new belt. you will go another 100,000 miles without problems if you take care of this 'routine' maintenance

I know all about the water pump seizing and eating the timing belt thing :rolleyes: It will start making a whirring noise, sort of like a really loud wheel bearing. You can hear it over road noise at 70mph, and obviously changes with RPM. And I got around 300 miles with it in this state. So if you have the noise, water pump.

If not, the first thing I'd do isn't go and replace the pump, because the timing belt needs to come off, bleck. Start with a new thermostat and go from there. It's pretty easy to replace.