Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry...it's a 2000 Forester. My check engine light just came on and the local advance auto ran the error code and it was PO136 (oxygen sensor circuit malfunction). Question-if I need to replace the O2 sensor, which one is it? And can I continue to drive until I get the time to replace it? Which brand O2 sensor would you reccomend? Also, the digital clock clock located near the two front interior lights doesn't work but the interior lights work properly. Any guess what could be wrong with the clock? Thanks.

Edited by Amos & Buster
2000 Forester

The P0136 code is for the rear sensor circuit. It can be caused by a poor connection anywhere between the sensor and the ECU, the sensor being bad, or even if there's an exhaust leak somewhere between the front and rear sensors. I'd suggest checking mainly the sensor's connector and for exhaust leaks. If neither of those seems to be the problem, then the sensor itself is a likely cause.

Although we mostly recommend using only OEM for front sensor replacement, an aftermarket unit is usually adequate for the rear sensor.