Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru parts saves Suzuki

swampbrat

I have had nothing but trouble with my cooling fan on my Samurai since my engine rebuild. The first thermal switch only worked a couple cycles and quit ( chinese generic ). I switched to a Derale setup and it ran awfully hot before it would come on, then one night it switched itself on and killed the battery! Enough is enough. I dug the fan switch out of my parts subarus radiator and grafted it into the top rad hose with a 1/2" galvanized t and 3/8 brass bushing. That thing works perfect- stays the same temp even when launching off sand dunes on a hot day! Info may help someone trying to eliminate clutch fan... I also run a wrx booster/mc on it - easy swap , works fantastic!

Heh - I have a friend with a Samurai and he's sporting a whole bunch of Subaru parts on it. Radiator fan from an EA81, EA82T turbo, SPFI fuel pump, EA81 fuel pump control unit, One of my cast-off Weber DGV's, etc, etc :rolleyes:.

It runs like a demon though. 7 psi on the worn-out original engine - had to do a head gasket on it after he boosted to about 10+ psi on a test run trying to adjust the waste gate. Almost picked the front wheels up off the ground :lol:.

Thanks for the MC/booster tip - I'll mention that to him. Does that give more braking power?

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

It has the best brkes of all our cars now! I converted the rear to disc but I would not recomend it- just get a wrx booster/mc off ebay and bolt it on. You just adjust the shaft nut and use some washers on the studs. I had to drill a new accel cable hole as the booster is about 3 times bigger than the sammys. I have a ea82 turbo laying around too. only I already have spark knock with no boosting.

and 92 octane.

I can get a pic or two probably.

It's a stock engine for now - he has another he's building up for more boost. He will be replacing the pistons and rods and o-ringing the block.

Everything is custom. There are virtually no part numbers for anything.

It's a blow-through. The Weber has been modified with o-rings on the throttle shafts. The fuel pressure rises with boost pressure - starts at 5 psi and rises with the boost pressure using an Italian fuel pressure regulator. Mechanical pump was removed and the SPFI pump supplies fuel pressure so there is plenty for added boost. The regulator has a return line so the pump isn't being dead-headed. The choke plates and air horns were removed from the carb and it is fitted with a custom made top that is sealed against boost pressure. The turbo is on top of a custom exhaust plenum and draws cold air from a vent in the face of the hood above the driver's side headlight, and then runs over to a heavily modified Ford Probe intercooler that gets cold air from an identical vent on the passenger side of the hood - which then feeds into the carb.

It's using a Mazda RX7 turbo recirc valve.

Soon I will be helping him install a knock control system from an '85/'86 EA82T.

The engine is getting close to being shot though. It's got too much blow-by and he has been having trouble with it blowing out valve cover seals, etc. It also smokes when you take off from a stop - it's about shot and I'm assuming the turbo isn't helping matters :rolleyes:. But so far it's holding together.

GD

Mine is fuel injected so I wouldn't have all the carb mods at least. I do worry a little about fuel lean out. I thought my pump was going since it started hard after running but apparantly that isn't the case. Maybe my fuel injector doesn't like to work after warming up. My rebuild helped a lot though, it spins 7k and has good torque. Would love to take a peek at his exhaust header!