Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how interchangeable the engine are from 97 to 98. I am looking at getting a 98 impreza coupe 2.2l 5 speed that needs a new engine. I have a 97 impreza outback sport 2.2l 5 speed but am not sure if it will just drop right in. I know that subaru made changes to the 2.2 from 97-98 and if my thinking is correct they also made changes from 98-01. Im not entirely sure of what changes were made to the engine but I know there were some made. If anyone has any input to whether this would be a direct swap or not I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Greg

same engine. only difference will be the bellhousing bolt pattern changed in 98, but it actually doesn't matter. all the holes you need to use all line up just fine. all of your 97 bits will bolt right to it - intake, timing components, water pump, everything is the same basically. 99 was the big change year for the EJ22 so you should be golden.

if you don't get it - let me know the info on it, got a buddy i'm helping to look at picking something up.

Hey great thanks,

Yeah the guy says that someone else has dibbs as of now but it comes free I am definitely trying to get it, my wagon has way to much rust and its only getting worse.

As for the engine issue. The guys say that it overheated and caused the head gasket to blow. I dont think that hes that interested in finding out whats wrong with it because it has 200k+ miles on it. I just have a rusted out wagon which only has 97k on it. Runs fantastic but is starting to worry me with the rust.

Thanks for all the help.

Also does it make a difference that my car does not have a egr on it. Is that something that was put on in 98? If so would I just swap the intake from the 98 on to the 97 engine? Thanks again.

Oh man, EGR...many manual trans don't have EGR so there's a chance the 98 won't have it either. If it does, no problem just block off the hole in the head and use your 1997 intake manifold. I blocked off the EGR in my engine and installed a non-EGR intake on it just like I'm saying. Just need to cap off the hole in the head for the exhaust, not a big deal but you do sort of have to "make something work".

It is! I guess I might be runner up. the guy said that there was one person with the highest offer. I hope you dont get it. No offense, but I REALLY want that car. Its exactly what I have been looking for and probably exactly what your looking for.

If things dont work out let me know so I can try and scoop it up.

Thanks,

Greg

It is! I guess I might be runner up. the guy said that there was one person with the highest offer. I hope you dont get it. No offense, but I REALLY want that car. Its exactly what I have been looking for and probably exactly what your looking for.

If things dont work out let me know so I can try and scoop it up.

Thanks,

Greg

None taken, if you get it, good for you, it's just a car to me, there will be more.