Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Considering 2010 Forester - questions

I am replacing my 1999 Forester and am considering the 2010 Forester but also considering the 6 cylinder Toyota RAV. Leaning toward the normally aspirated Forester primarily because of better performance in deep snow and mud, and also because of lower price. Some of my concerns about the Forester are based on my experience with the 99 Forester.

I would prefer the Forester with manual transmission but was not happy with the clutch in the 99. Had to replace it twice before the car died at 228,400 miles, and had clutch judder with every clutch. Has Subaru improved their clutch with the 2010 model?

I would appreciate any comments on performance of the 2010 Forester with the manual vs. automatic transmission

Had head gasket problems with the 99 Forester. Has that issue been resolved with the 2010 model?

Had to replace rear wheel bearings many times on the 99, has this been resolved with the 2010 model?

I would also appreciate any comments from those with experience regarding the performance and handling of the new 2009/2010 design compared to the 1999-2008 models.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer

The 2010 Forester is a really nice vehicle. I helped a friend buy one a few days ago. I wouldn't be leery regarding any HG issue with the Forester. Subaru has had 10 years to get the HG fixed on the 2.5 motor.

Don't know what was going on with your clutch on your 99, but the "shutters" indicates that something wasn't right from the beginning.

Suggest you check out the Subaru Forester forum. There is a sub forum that is called Forester Shopping that addresses questions by people interested in buying a new 2010. Here is the web site. It is very helpful when buying a new vehicle.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/

Edited by Rooster2
added info

For 2010 they've gone to the multi-layer metal headgaskets which was a permanent fix from the very beginning so no worries on those. The rear wheel bearing issue shouldn't be there either being that it's a completely redesigned suspension setup.

I believe if you use an after market made in Japan race and American made wheel bearings in the older Foresters, the issue would be permanently resolved. That's what I read.

The new Foresters have gotten nothing but praise from new owners, I don't think you'll regret buying one. I test drove one and it was perfect in every way. Simple to use controls, roomy cabin, compact and agile. Gotta love the ground clearance.