Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what can I take off my EJ25 to put on an EJ22

First off - you guys are a blessing beyond description. In 3 days I went from wanting to drive this car off a cliff, to getting some reassurance via EJ22 swap, and actually landing an EJ22 out of a 96 auto (THANK YOU JOHN!!)

The EJ22 that johnceggleton found runs good and has a warranty. I went and looked at it today and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I bought cam seals, F&R mains, VC gaskets and a timing belt. The JY can't sell catalytic converters. They said they need to cut off the exhaust before the cats. I get whatever is in between. Doesn't the Y-pipe have pre-cats in them? I hope this isn't an issue.

I completely forgot about the plate behind the flywheel. I was told there's a modified OEM replacement (metal). I'm almost 2hrs from a Subie dealer and don't believe I can get one in time. Can the plate be re-sealed with silicone?

My EJ25 has brand new drive belts, plugs, and wires. Can I use any of them on the 22? What about the water pump and thermostat?

I bought cam seals, F&R mains, VC gaskets and a timing belt.

The JY can't sell catalytic converters.

Doesn't the Y-pipe have pre-cats in them?

I completely forgot about the plate behind the flywheel. I was told there's a modified OEM replacement (metal). Can the plate be re-sealed with silicone?

My EJ25 has brand new drive belts, plugs, and wires. Can I use any of them on the 22? What about the water pump and thermostat?

water pump and t-stat - yes, use them.

also the idlers for the t-belt if they are new or better than yours.

you do not want the section with the cats, just the section in front of them. no pre-cats there.

DO NOT mess with the rear main seal unless you have to . they almost never leak and often they leak after they have been changed. the oil seperator plate always leaks.

the oil sep plate on the back side can be re-sealed, but if it is cracked then no. if it is plastic, i highly recommend replacing it. if metal then re-seall. look here for real subaru parts: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html . if needed ask about overnight shipping if that is easier than driving to the dealer nearest you. check the one on your outback as well. use RTV to seal it up. do not use too much. you do not want it to ooze into the engine.

ask for it at your local advance or autozone store. use it on the oil pump as well SPARINGLY. i repeat, SPARINGLY, not a bead but a THIN layer spread with your finger.

do not forget :

o-ring for the oil pump dealer item??

o-rings for cam caps, came with seals??

exhaust manifold gaskets - parts store?

the plug wires will not work.

the plugs i do not know about.

drive belts i do not know.

Edited by johnceggleston

water pump and t-stat - yes, use them.

also the idlers for the t-belt if they are new or better than yours.

you do not want the section with the cats, just the section in front of them. no pre-cats there.

DO NOT mess with the rear main seal unless you have to . they almost never leak and often they leak after they have been changed. the oil seperator plate always leaks.

the oil sep plate on the back side can be re-sealed, but if it is cracked then no. if it is plastic, i highly recommend replacing it. if metal then re-seall. look here for real subaru parts: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html . if needed ask about overnight shipping if that is easier than driving to the dealer nearest you. check the one on your outback as well. use RTV to seal it up. do not use too much. you do not want it to ooze into the engine.

ask for it at your local advance or autozone store. use it on the oil pump as well SPARINGLY. i repeat, SPARINGLY, not a bead but a THIN layer spread with your finger.

do not forget :

o-ring for the oil pump dealer item??

o-rings for cam caps, came with seals??

exhaust manifold gaskets - parts store?

the plug wires will not work.

the plugs i do not know about.

drive belts i do not know.

I did not get the o-ring for the oil pump, but I plan on re-sealing it. Am I S.O.L if I pull it and don't have a new o-ring to go back in?

"cam caps" are the same thing as valve covers? Yes I have those o-rings

Here's the dumbest question of the week. This EJ22 is a SOHC motor. The ECU won't know the difference?

The "new" motor has 161K on it. What oil should I run in it?

And last question... The EJ22 looks rough. It's definitely leaked oil over the past 14 years and a lot of the alum on the intake runners and block has the white oxidization. What will clean that? I'm getting the motor tomorrow night and its going in on Thursday. I've got 2 days to prep and clean it.

Can't thank you enough for the help. We owe you one.

Cam cap O rings. One goes on the rear of the passenger side cylinder head at the back of the cam, likes to leak like a sieve if it goes bad and can be mistaken for a bad VCG. The other goes at the front of the drivers side cylinder head between the head and the camshaft end support.

Subaru PN 806946030

Number 3 in the diagram. 366494901301.png

Since you'll have the engine out, you'll have easy access to the camshaft end plug on the read of the drivers side head. Those can leak as well and only cost a few $. Usually are in stock at the dealer. It's number 6 in the diagram. PN 807045040

Edited by Fairtax4me

I did not get the o-ring for the oil pump, but I plan on re-sealing it. Am I S.O.L if I pull it and don't have a new o-ring to go back in?

Here's the dumbest question of the week. This EJ22 is a SOHC motor. The ECU won't know the difference?

The "new" motor has 161K on it. What oil should I run in it?

And last question... The EJ22 looks rough. It's definitely leaked oil over the past 14 years and a lot of the alum on the intake runners and block has the white oxidization. What will clean that? I'm getting the motor tomorrow night and its going in on Thursday. I've got 2 days to prep and clean it.

Can't thank you enough for the help. We owe you one.

if you do not have the o-ring for the oil pump i think i'd leave it alone unless there is a lot of oil leaking out there. maybe use the one from your outback. it maybe newer. the rtv seal on the pump body holds up better than the o-ring, i think.

the cam caps are located, one passenger side on the rear of the head and the other on the driver front of the head, you'll see the one when you replace the cam seal. maybe use the ones from your outback. they may be newer.

the ECU will be just fine, the ej25 has 4 cam shafts but only one cam sensor just like the ej22.