Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sputtering ea81

Probably a pointless question since my description will be less-than-adequate. I have an 1981 wagon with 73,000 on it. It ran PERFECT. Then, over winter, I put new plugs and wires on it, and it still seemed to run fine. Lately, it seems to really be dogged in lower rpm's. It "sputters" and sounds like an old VW beetle. Then, when I hit around 2500 rpm's, it seems to have more life in it. That's when it gets a little "peppy", or, about as peppy as a 1.6 can get! Any ideas on what might be the problem? I am not sure it is connected to the plugs and wires...could it be that the valves need adjusting? Would these cause it to sputter in lower gears? Let me know if any of you have some thoughts...I am no mechanic, but am willing to try suggestions. Thank you.

I would check the condtion of the plugs and wires just for starters. Subaru's typically don't like anything but NGK brand plugs so if you have something else in there pull them out.

Have you changed the cap and rotor?

Beyond that it could be a carb problem.

Sounds like it might be running on 3 cylinders - try pulling each plug wire off in turn while it's running at idle and see if it makes any difference to the speed/sound of the engine. If you pull one and nothing changes it indicates you have a problem of some kind with that cylinder.

GD

I appreciate the troubleshooting suggestion---I will yank each wire as it is running. For what it is worth, I don't think it is running on 3 cylinders. What about readusting the valves? How frequently should this be done? Oh yeah, I also did the cap and rotor and put in NGK plugs...